The intellectual property team provides full life-cycle patent support, from initial identification of patentable ideas in our clients’ business, to prosecution before the US Patent and Trademark Office, to enforcement, licensing, and patent assets sales and acquisitions. Our clients range from startups preparing for initial investment and growth, to multi-national, Fortune 50 companies looking to strategically grow and exploit their patent portfolios. Butzel patent attorneys prepare and prosecute domestic and foreign patent applications for clients in the software, pharmaceutical, life sciences, automotive, technology, and higher education industries, among others. We handle patent prosecution, appeals, reexaminations, non-infringement and invalidity opinions, post-grant procedures before the USPTO, state and federal court litigation, and patent portfolio management. We bring true value to our clients’ patent portfolios through strategies tailored to their individual business needs and budgets while achieving maximum protection for their inventions. In conjunction with the litigation team, we also defend against allegations of patent infringement both from competitors and non-practicing entities
- ShareholderShareholderShareholderSenior AttorneyOf CounselShareholderOf CounselJump to PageOf CounselAssociate
Alerts & Publications
News & Events
- Firm News, 7.27.2022
- Firm News, 6.13.2022
- 2.1.2013Butzel Long attorney Claudia Rast quoted in the article, "How to protect your company's data" in the Nashville Business Journal
- Trademark and Patent Filings
- Defended Tier 1 automotive supplier in patent litigation involving universal garage door opener technology
- Defended automotive supplier against patent infringement
- Defended boat windshield manufacturer in patent infringement action
- Defended fiberglass manufacturer in patent/trade secret infringement action
- Defended manufacturer in appeal of patent infringement action
- Successfully defended automotive supplier in patent infringement action; validated 2 patents on summary judgment and another after trial.
- Defend manufacturer in patent infringement case
- Trade secret lawsuits
- Defended manufacturer of roofing staple device in patent litigation
- Design patent and trade dress rights
- Prevailed at trial in a multi-million dollar patent case for an automotive manufacturing client, invalidating the last of three patents that had been asserted against client.
- Represented biotech company and university in patent infringement/inventorship action.
- Defended manufacturer in trade dress and patent infringement lawsuit
- Defended fastener corporation-patent licensee in two companion actions alleging patent and trademark infringement, and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented research and development company in patent inventorship dispute.
- Defended manufacturer in patent infringement action
- Patent Prosecution: Drafted, prepared, filed and prosecuted numerous patent applications for major automotive suppliers