GENERAL PURPOSE: The law firm of Butzel Long is seeking a full-time Collections Manager for its Troy office. The Collections Manager will oversee the Firm’s financial receipts and debt collections and minimize the Firm’s financial delinquency. They will ensure all money owed to the company is billed and received correctly in a timely manner. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
• Designs and implements processes to improve cash flow and reduce receivables.
• Monitors and negotiates payment arrangements on the collection of overdue accounts in cases when non-payment occurs.
• Works closely with the Billing Department to implement processes and policies that contribute to accurate and timely invoicing and e-billing of clients.
• Keeps accurate records and reporting on collection activity and accounts receivable status.
• Updates CFO and Finance Committee on status of accounts and collection efforts.
• Ensures that firm policy is followed and implemented to avoid excessive outstanding debt.
• Keeps up with changes in state and federal laws governing debt collections.
• Trains and mentors staff members in the collections department.
• Approves new matters and evaluates credit worthiness of new clients.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Good written, oral and reading communication skills in order to accurately obtain, interpret and transcribe a variety of communications and instructions.
• Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to adjust and interact with clients and colleagues at levels of the organization.
• Top-notch analytical skills and the ability to work under strict deadlines.
• Outstanding leadership and managerial skills.
• The ability to work accurately and independently.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING:
• Bachelor’s degree required in a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• At least 5 years of experience in collecting, accounts receivable, preferably in a professional services environment.
• Experience with billing and collections software and the ability to learn new software quickly.
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office, particularly MS Excel.
• Knowledge of billing procedures and collection techniques.
To submit your resume or for information regarding current career opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org