Trade Secret & Non-Compete Specialty Team
Butzel Long's Trade Secret and Non-Compete Specialty Team includes attorneys with a wealth of knowledge and extensive courtroom experience in representing and counseling clients in trade secret, non-compete, and other competitively sensitive business disputes.
Butzel Long attorneys practicing in the areas of trade secret and non-compete law are regularly involved in obtaining and opposing injunctive relief and in negotiating the resolution of business competition disputes. Our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to successfully represent clients in this specialized area. Each attorney remains current with all legal developments and are often involved in the cases that define the boundaries of trade secret and non-compete law.
As a result of this leading edge involvement, Butzel Long attorneys are the key resource in this specialized area for not only litigation and trial expertise, but also for counseling clients on how to protect themselves and their competitively sensitive business information through the drafting of specially tailored restrictive covenants. Our attorneys frequently speak on business competition topics and share their experience-based knowledge and guidance with clients, other attorneys and industry groups.
- Sherwin Williams v. Kuperschmidt. Represented employer in successfully negotiating settlement of covenant not to compete and unfair competition suit against former employee.
- Red Group v. Gattari. Successfully defended former employee in two lawsuits initiated by former employer alleging violations of a covenant not to compete and related claims.
- Superior Consultant Co., Inc. v. DeSimone. Represented employer in successfully obtaining injunction and then negotiating settlement of covenant not to compete suit against former employee and new employer.
- S & R Equipment Co., v. Stanley. Represented employer in successfully negotiating settlement of covenant not to compete suit against former employee.
- Defended against claim for violation of a non-compete agreement
- Defended a major financial management company against numerous claims for violation of non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements over a ten year period.
- Defended and won summary judgment in favor of former employees dismissing claims brought by employer alleging breaches of fiduciary duty, unfair competition, and tortious interference with business opportunities.
- Copyright, trademark and trade secret action.
- Defended fiberglass manufacturer in patent/trade secret infringement action
- Represented employer in successfully negotiating settlement of covenant not to compete, copyright infringement, and unfair competition suit against former employees
- Achieved summary judgment in favor of employees who joined a competitor of former employee
- Represented a technology consulting company in negotiations and contemplated litigation against its former client regarding breach of the parties' non-disclosure agreement and related copyright infringement and theft of trade secrets claims.
- Sherwin Williams v. Biggers. Represented employer in successfully obtaining injunction enforcing covenant not to compete against former employee. 851 F. Supp. 839 (1994).
- Trade secret lawsuits
- Represented a former employee accused of stealing more than $100 million worth of trade secrets from his employers in violation of the federal economic espionage act.
- Represented employer in successfully negotiating settlement of covenant not to compete and unfair competition suit against former employ.
- Superior Consultant Co., Inc. v. Walling. Represented employer in successfully obtaining injunction enforcing covenant not to compete against former employee. 851 F. Supp. 839 (1994).
- Sherwin Williams v. Nevada Color. Represented employer in successfully negotiating settlement of covenant not to compete and unfair competition suit against former employees.
- Butzel Long attorneys Bernard Fuhs and Rebecca Klein publish article, "Blog: Calling All Frustrated Minority Shareholders: Are You Being Oppressed."December 14, 2018
- April 24, 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Michael Griffie interviewed on WDIV-Local 4 regarding legal battle with LeBron JamesApril 24, 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Bernie Fuhs discusses the LeBron James The Shop lawsuit on Straight Aim with Amy DashApril 18, 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Bernie Fuhs discusses LeBron James and "Shop Talk" on WJR's Frank Beckmann ShowApril 18, 2018
- September 25, 2017
- Butzel Long attorney featured during ABA’s Employment Rights & Responsibilities Committee Midwinter Meeting in MexicoMarch 31, 2017
- January 26, 2017
- August 9, 2016
- May 22, 2016
- January 26, 2016
- Butzel Long attorney Bernard J. Fuhs featured during Walsh Institute Leadership Center Business Briefing on February 27 in NoviFebruary 14, 2013
- June 9, 2011
- April 28, 2011
- Butzel Long attorneys file trade secrets caseSeptember 10, 2009
- Butzel Long attorneys co-author Chapter in Defense Research Institute book on trade secrets and non-competesDecember 10, 2008
- October 22, 2008
- Butzel Long attorneys Benjamin K. Steffans and Bernard J. Fuhs publish article in State Bar of Michigan's Litigation NewsletterAugust 21, 2008
- May 31, 2019
- Employers and Franchisors Beware: Washington Enacts New Non-Compete Law Aimed at Protecting “Low Wage” Employees While Targeting Employers and Franchisors with PenaltiesMay 30, 2019
- May 9, 2019
- March 28, 2019
- February 27, 2019
- February 8, 2019
- January 11, 2019
- December 5, 2018
- November 14, 2018
- February 12, 2018
- October 18, 2017
- Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016 Best Practices Released: What Every Company Needs to Know to Protect Their Trade SecretsJuly 7, 2017
- June 22, 2017
- New Federal Trade Secrets Law Offers the Automotive Industry Additional Arsenal to Fight Trade Secret TheftJune 14, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- From Michigan to Washington: Proposed Legislation to Ban Non-Competes Could Have a Chilling Effect on Innovation and Economic GrowthMarch 12, 2015
- February 27, 2015
- August 1, 2009
- July 27, 2009
- December 22, 2008