China International Team
Butzel Long has helped companies from North America, Europe, and Asia establish and expand Chinese business operations for over twenty years. Building on our strong Asia practice in North America and our close proximity to the U.S. automotive industry, we have worked with numerous clients from both the United States and China to increase their China investments.
From our Michigan base and our growing New York office, we are well-positioned to assist businesses investing in the Chinese market we can also help Chinese companies seeking to invest in North America with business transactions and other legal matters. An increasing number of Chinese-based clients have retained us to assist with immigration matters, the acquisition of assets, real estate needs, intellectual property projects, employment issues, business disputes, and litigation concerns. We have also counseled them regarding general business concerns and strategic planning. Our firm has English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Shanghai dialect capabilities in China and the United States.
Our attorneys in our China practice provide a wide-range of legal services, including:
- Market investigation and analysis
- Due diligence investigations
- Strategic planning for China investment
- Establishment and/or restructuring of Chinese business entities, including joint ventures
- Chinese company and asset acquisition
- Labor and employment contracts and disputes
- Real estate matters
- Taxation and incentives
- Intellectual property protection
- Anti-counterfeiting strategies
- Cultural and business operation counseling
- Dispute resolution and arbitration and
- Chinese regulation compliance.
As a full-service law firm, our attorneys can assist our China practice team and provide a wide range of services to not only North American clients operating in Asia, but also to Asian clients seeking legal representation in the United States. Our services include foreign direct investment in the United States, public and private securities offerings, international sales and distribution, import and export regulation, merger and acquisition activity, real estate investment, immigration services, and intellectual property regulation and protection.
We are also a member of the China Alliance, a unique partnership established by four leading independent law firms that recognized Chinas increasing importance in the international marketplace and in North America particularly. These four firms Armstrong Teasdale LLP, Michael Best and Friedrich LLP, Blake Cassels and Graydon LLP (Canada), and Butzel Long collaborate in the development of their respective China practices, which enhances each of our abilities to serve clients needs in the rapidly developing China market. The China Alliances offices in Shanghai and Beijing offer clients on-the-ground capabilities in Chinas primary business and regulatory centers.
Attorneys from China Alliance firms provide advice and counsel to businesses with interests and operations in the Chinese market. Our operating arrangement allows us to offer companies and other interested organizations access to the skills and capabilities of 1,300 lawyers.
China Alliance member attorneys are actively involved in Chinese business communities, they are familiar with local business practices, and they maintain close relationships with officials at all levels of the Chinese government. With their ability to conduct business in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English, their access to key decision makers, and their pragmatic approach specifically tailored to the Chinese business environment, China Alliance attorneys provide clients with deep in-country capabilities and pertinent, professional advice.
The China Alliance structure provides cost-effective representation on critical business and strategic issues in China and throughout Asia. Whether the issue is local or multi-jurisdictional, practice- or industry-specific, China Alliance member firms provide relevant advice and timely solutions to all levels of business issues.
For more information on the China Alliance, please visit its website at www.china-alliance.com.
- Creation of novel China oriented mutual fund
- Represented American subsidiary of China's third largest privately held company in an automotive supplier dispute in the U.S. District Court, E.D. Mich.
- Lead counsel for global polymers manufacturer in multiple acquisition and disposition transactions, including complex, multi-continent acquisitions, numerous acquisitions of U.S. based distributors and disposition of operations in Canada and the U.S.
- Represented a Mexican corporation in the purchase of the exhaust system business from a major Tier 1 auto supplier in a Section 363 bankruptcy sale; facilities located throughout the world
- Negotiated the acquisition of a 230,000 square foot industrial facility on behalf of a major Chinese purchaser
- July 12, 2018
- October 12, 2011
- Attorney Daniel P. Malone returns to Butzel Long law firm as Director of Korean Client Relations and Vice Chair of Asia PracticeOctober 6, 2011
- April 28, 2011
- February 15, 2010
- December 10, 2009
- June 4, 2009
- October 22, 2008