China International Team
Butzel Long has helped companies from North America, Europe, and Asia establish and expand Chinese business operations for over twenty years. Building on our strong Asia practice in North America and our close proximity to the U.S. automotive industry, we have worked with numerous clients from both the United States and China to increase their China investments.
From our Michigan base and our growing New York office, we are well-positioned to assist businesses investing in the Chinese market we can also help Chinese companies seeking to invest in North America with business transactions and other legal matters. An increasing number of Chinese-based clients have retained us to assist with immigration matters, the acquisition of assets, real estate needs, intellectual property projects, employment issues, business disputes, and litigation concerns. We have also counseled them regarding general business concerns and strategic planning. Our firm has English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Shanghai dialect capabilities in China and the United States.
Our attorneys in our China practice provide a wide-range of legal services, including:
- Market investigation and analysis
- Due diligence investigations
- Strategic planning for China investment
- Establishment and/or restructuring of Chinese business entities, including joint ventures
- Chinese company and asset acquisition
- Labor and employment contracts and disputes
- Real estate matters
- Taxation and incentives
- Intellectual property protection
- Anti-counterfeiting strategies
- Cultural and business operation counseling
- Dispute resolution and arbitration and
- Chinese regulation compliance.
As a full-service law firm, our attorneys can assist our China practice team and provide a wide range of services to not only North American clients operating in Asia, but also to Asian clients seeking legal representation in the United States. Our services include foreign direct investment in the United States, public and private securities offerings, international sales and distribution, import and export regulation, merger and acquisition activity, real estate investment, immigration services, and intellectual property regulation and protection.
- Represented a Mexican corporation in the purchase of the exhaust system business from a major Tier 1 auto supplier in a Section 363 bankruptcy sale; facilities located throughout the world
- Creation of novel China oriented mutual fund
- Represented American subsidiary of China's third largest privately held company in an automotive supplier dispute in the U.S. District Court, E.D. Mich.
- Negotiated the acquisition of a 230,000 square foot industrial facility on behalf of a major Chinese purchaser
- Lead counsel for global polymers manufacturer in multiple acquisition and disposition transactions, including complex, multi-continent acquisitions, numerous acquisitions of U.S. based distributors and disposition of operations in Canada and the U.S.
- Butzel Long attorneys Bill Yang and Mitch Zajac interviewed by GlobalAutoIndustry.com on China Export Control and AINovember 2, 2020
- Butzel Long attorney Catherine Karol discusses first steps in China trade deal on WJR's The Frank Beckmann ShowWJR 760 AM, October 14, 2019
- Butzel Long attorney He Xian quoted in the China Daily on sister city relationship between Hohhot and LansingChina Daily, September 28, 2019
- August 8, 2019
- July 12, 2018
- China Auto News, January 17, 2018
- April 28, 2011
- February 15, 2010
- December 10, 2009
- June 4, 2009
- October 22, 2008
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Algorithms Export Control - Impact to the U.S. and China Automotive IndustriesOctober 26, 2020
- July 23, 2020
- USTR Opens New Portal to Apply For Exclusions from Section 301 Tariffs on Imports from China That Impact COVID-19 National EmergencyMarch 27, 2020
- March 3, 2020
- NEW TARIFFS ON CHINESE EXPORTS TO UNITED STATES LINKED TO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ISSUES ANNOUNCED: HEARINGS TO BE HELDApril 4, 2018
- December 1, 2009
- November 24, 2008