Butzel Long's government and regulatory law team has a nuanced understanding of administrative and regulatory bodies that helps our clients effectively and efficiently meet key business objectives. We handle matters before all levels of local, state, and federal administrative agencies and courts in a wide range of matters, including antitrust and trade regulation, corporate and securities regulation, education, energy and natural resources, environment, financing, health care fraud defense, health care licensing, immigration, infrastructure construction, insurance, labor and employment, licensing, oil and gas, public utilities, taxation, and telecommunications. Prior experience includes receiving brownfield credit procuring tax abatements securing public grants obtaining, maintaining, and defending liquor licenses negotiating and structuring economic incentives for new investment and advising corporations during government investigations.
Our team closely follows regulatory changes at the local, state, and federal level. We assist clients by negotiating agreements at the administrative level by representing them during hearings, trials, and appeals and by obtaining changes in the law and regulations via legal advocacy, counseling, and drafting proposed legislative and agency rule changes.
By working with other practices at the firm and through our joint venture with Michigan Legislative Consultants, BL Government Affairs (BLGA), we offer a powerful combination of legal, political, and regulatory experience that gives us access to key contacts within the legislative and regulatory arenas. This allows us to meet clients increasing administrative and regulatory challenges in todays business environment.
- Represented metals trading company in major U.S. Attorney and U.S. Customs investigation
- Series of victories achieved in trial and appellate litigation involving the proposed sale of Michigan's Northville Psychiatric Hospital.
- Health Care Fraud Federal Criminal Trial: Individual Defense
- Represented corporations and executives under federal investigation
- Successfully concluded a multi-million arbirtation for an HMO involving competing claims for damages arising out of alleged mismanagement of the HMO and claims by the manager of a health group
- Represented a book publisher and distributor in criminal investigation conducted by US Postal Service
- Representing a pharmacy and its professional staff being investigated by a federal grand jury for prescription fraud
- Represented a physician arrested as a result of an undercover narcotics scheme in a multi-count indictment, which was resolved by a plea to a technical misdemeanor
- Represented target of the Department of Justice's and Securities and Exchange Commission's parallel investigation into alleged price fixing and related securities law violations in the municipal bond underwriting industry.
- Represented the nation's largest house-call physician group in a multi-state, multi-case Qui Tam action brought by the Department of Justice
- SEC Enforcement Actions: individual and corporate defendants facing federal criminal prosecution and SEC investigations
- Represented a surgical group in the resolution of a claim brought by the Officer of Inspector General of Health & Human Services and the Department of Justice
- We obtained the Court of Appeals' affirmation of the trial court's dismissal of the challenge to the sale of the state hospital property to our client
- Represented individuals and companies subject to SEC subpoenas and investigations concerning alleged violations of securities laws with respect to a wide variety of financial transactions.
- Represented a physician and professional corporation in a multi-count felony complaint, which was resolved by dismissing charges against the physician and the PC
- Represented a potential target of options back-dating investigation by US Attorney's Office and negotiated a non-prosecution agreement for the client as a witness
- Represented individuals and companies subject to SEC subpoenas and investigations
- Representing a number of nursing homes where the nursing home administrator and/or director of nursing have been alleged to have engaged in patient abuse or neglect
- Ponzi Schemes: Representation of Broker Dealers/Investment Advisors
- Prepared an Amicus Curiae Brief to the U.S. supreme court urging the Court to grant states and local government units latitude in the regulation of firearms
- Represented witnesses and targets of federal and state investigations and prosecutions of alleged bid rigging and other price fixing conspiracies in various financial services industries.
- Represented witnesses in a variety of criminal and civil proceedings
- May 21, 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Jim Townsend interviewed on WJR's Frank Beckmann Show on Nestle groundwater controversyApril 6, 2018
- February 19, 2016
- September 24, 2015
- September 24, 2015
- January 29, 2014
- November 9, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney George B. Donnini discusses federal government's probe into price-fixing in the U.S. auto supply chainOctober 26, 2011
- July 12, 2011
- June 9, 2011
- April 28, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney George B. Donnini featured during MACPA's Anti-Fraud Issues Conference May 13, 2009 in LivoniaMarch 30, 2009
- October 22, 2008
- June 11, 2018
- January 12, 2018
- May 24, 2017
- May 12, 2017
- March 2, 2017
- NHTSA's Proposal to Mandate that Automobile Manufacturers Incorporate Vehicle-to-Vehicle Capabilities into New Cars – an UpdateJanuary 10, 2017
- September 20, 2016
- It’s Election Season Again (Not That You Could Avoid it!). Some Do’s and Don’ts for Exempt Organizations Participating in Public Policy and Political ActivitiesJune 16, 2016
- June 6, 2016
- Automation Alley Newsletter - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown BeginsSeptember 7, 2012
- Automotive - The Securities and Exchange Commission Finalizes Conflict Mineral Rules - The Reporting Countdown BeginsAugust 22, 2012
- February 24, 2009
- November 13, 2008
- November 13, 2008