Butzel Long attorneys have significant experience with a wide variety of private investment funds including private equity funds, hedge funds, and venture capital funds. Our attorneys represent fund sponsors, lead investors, investment advisers, broker-dealers, and major investors. Each attorney provides private fund experience including organization of master feeder and domestic as well as offshore funds and funds of funds. Our attorneys advise clients in all aspects of their operations, including fund formation, assistance with raising capital, tax planning, regulatory compliance, platform and add-on acquisitions and dispositions, portfolio company representation, and enforcement matters.
Members of Butzel Longs Financial Services practice group represent private equity clients in structuring, negotiating, and executing leveraged buyouts, management buyouts, and other acquisitions and equity investment transactions. These representations include structuring and implementing various financing alternatives and designing management incentive compensation programs. Our attorneys also represent private equity clients in various forms of "exit" transactions, whether structured as auction sales, privately negotiated dispositions, or public offerings.
Butzel Long attorneys represent portfolio companies of private equity clients through all aspects of their operations, including subsequent financing, add-on acquisitions, and general company representation. Butzel Long's private investment fund capabilities are bolstered by the firm's resources in all areas of corporate law as well as other practice areas including patent and intellectual property, real estate, tax, labor and employment, commercial lending, workouts and bankruptcy.
- Creation of novel China oriented mutual fund
- Represented infrastructure investment fund in proposals to acquire port facilities.
- Represented recruiting company in private placement of preferred stock
- Organization of hedge funds and private placement of hedge fund LLC interests.
- Filed amicus curiae brief with the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of 13 state-specific mutual-bond funds, addressing the issue of whether income-tax exemption for interest income from in-state municipal bonds violates the Constitution's Commerce Clause
- Private placement of real estate fund LLC interests.
- Representation of investment adviser for formation of hedge fund of funds.
- Substantial responsibility for legal issues arising in creation of novel mutual fund offering an insured minimum return
- July 8, 2014