Butzel Long's internal investigations team structures and conducts internal investigations involving a wide-range of potential or suspected wrongdoing by company employees, management, and/or third parties. We have worked with private and public companies in the automotive, entertainment, environmental, financial, health care, higher education, information technology, insurance, national defense, and securities industries. Many of our successes never become public record because we convinced prosecutors and investigators that our clients were either not involved in any wrongdoing or that the alleged misconduct was unsubstantiated.
We routinely conduct internal investigations and advise management, boards of directors, and audit committees on the establishment of compliance programs with an emphasis on the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the Department of Justice's Principles of Federal Prosecution of Business Organizations, and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. Our team advises on appropriate document preservation protocols, methodologies for preserving records, interviewing employees, and determining whether those employees should have separate representation. We strive to conduct internal investigations efficiently and with minimal intrusion into daily operations. We cull and review relevant documents to promote efficient resource allocation, and we interview relevant employees and retain forensic experts when needed. Our attorneys determine the best means for communicating our investigation results, and we counsel companies on their duties to disclose activities that may constitute criminal misconduct. We advise on how that information should be disclosed and how best to interact with the government. Our team has prepared voluntary disclosures to government agencies and assisted clients with implementation of remedial programs that satisfy government requirements and prevent future misconduct.
- Conducted internal investigation and alleged environmental violations by public company.
- Represented an attorney in criminal matter involving kickbacks on vendor contracts being funneled to corporate executive of company
- Defended international tobacco company in several class actions alleging fraud and product liability claims
- Represented numerous individual and corporate defendants facing federal criminal prosecution arising from allegations of wire and mail fraud, tax fraud, insider trading, healthcare fraud, environmental crimes, theft of trade secrets and drug conspiracy
- Completed internal corporate investigation of records and document management corporation and reported findings to SEC.
- Represented Tier I auto supplier in parallel proceedings conducted by US Attorney’s Office
- Defended a subsidiary of national insurance company against third party and class action claims alleging its participation in securities and common law fraud perpetrated by primary defendant, for which client had brokered insurance
- Internal investigation and report regarding a University's response to campus murder
- Directed internal investigation concerning alleged SEC issues of entertainment distributor
- January 29, 2014
- June 9, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel featured recently during Inside Counsel Magazine’s annual SuperConference in ChicagoJune 1, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel to be featured during 2011 Federal Bar Association – Eastern District of Michigan Conference on April 28April 26, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel to be featured during Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants 2011 Anti-Fraud Issues ConferenceApril 11, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney George B. Donnini featured during March 8 MACPA webinar on corporate fraud investigationFebruary 22, 2011
- Three Butzel Long attorneys recognized by National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers for pro bono projectFebruary 14, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel featured recently during OESA Legal Issues Council Fall MeetingNovember 18, 2010
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel featured recently at Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants programOctober 5, 2010
- Butzel Long attorney Michael J. Lavoie to receive award from the Oakland County Bar Association on October 21September 29, 2010
- January 20, 2017
- September 13, 2016