Estate & Succession Planning
Butzel Long’s Estate and Succession Planning team determines the most advantageous ways to hold assets during a client’s lifetime and to develop a plan for the distribution of such assets at death. We can develop sophisticated estate plans for extremely high net worth individuals and address the unique issues surrounding family- and closely-held businesses. Our practice also handles commonplace matters in addition to more complex matters that require special attention.
Our in-depth understanding of the intricate tax and estate laws gives clients optimal and creative solutions during their personal and professional lifespan and following death. We can counsel fiduciaries during the administration of estates, trusts, guardianships, or conservatorships proceedings and we can assist with tax compliance when preparing fiduciary income tax returns, federal gift and estate tax returns.
We also provide meaningful counsel on corporate planning and charitable giving. We specialize in family- and closely-held business planning. Our attorneys address the unique issues of ownership transition, management, distribution of assets for business owners after death. We also have considerable chartable planning experience, providing guidance for implementing various tax advantaged trusts as well as establishing private family foundations and public charities for those persons looking to take a more active philanthropic role for themselves and their families.
Our team handles estate tax audit matters and fiduciary tax audit matters, and we have considerable experience litigating probate, estate, and family law affairs.
- Created numerous private charitable foundations.
- Provided estate and succession planning services for some of the wealthiest individuals in Michigan.
- Actively involved in the administration of one of the largest estates in Michigan.
- Provided complex Estate Planning services for numerous Senior Executive level individuals from major automotive manufacturers.
- Handled the administration of several estates in excess of $100 million.
- Lead counsel in two separate litigations, both involving $100 million trusts, with respect to claims of breach of fiduciary and related claims
- Created a private charitable foundation in excess of 20 million; actively involved in the administration of the foundation.
- September 18, 2020
- November 1, 2019
- U.S. News & World Report, November 1, 2018
- November 1, 2017
- September 5, 2017
- Butzel Long further expands law staff with two attorneys and clients in corporate real estate and estate planningNovember 29, 2016
- November 1, 2016
- Butzel Long attorney Robert Nemzin quoted in Crain's Detroit Business on the topic of wealth managementSeptember 26, 2016
- Butzel Long attorney Ronald D. Bassey to be honored by State Bar of Michigan for 50-years of membershipJuly 21, 2015
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin named to Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s 2013 Class of “Up & Coming Lawyers”November 20, 2013
- November 4, 2013
- November 1, 2013
- July 16, 2013
- November 5, 2012
- November 1, 2012
- November 9, 2011
- June 14, 2011
- June 9, 2011
- May 6, 2011
- April 28, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured during American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law 22nd Annual Spring Symposia on April 28, 2011 in Washington, D.C.March 9, 2011
- February 16, 2011
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin appointed Co-Vice-Chair of the Young Lawyers Network, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law of the American Bar AssociationAugust 11, 2010
- July 13, 2010
- April 28, 2010
- Butzel Long attorney Robert Nemzin featured during Joint Fall CLE Meeting of ABA Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law and ABA Taxation SectionJuly 31, 2009
- May 27, 2009
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured during ABA teleconference on Estate Planning for Business Owners on January 6, 2009December 18, 2008
- Butzel Long attorney Robert P. Perry featured at National Business Institute Estate Planning Program on February 17, 2009December 16, 2008
- Butzel Long attorney David W. Sommerfeld appointed to Fiduciary Income Tax Committee of the American College of Trust and Estate CounselNovember 19, 2008
- October 22, 2008
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured at ABA's Section of Taxation & Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Joint Fall MeetingSeptember 30, 2008
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin appointed to serve as a Fellow in the ABA Real Property, Trust and Estate Fellows ProgramAugust 26, 2008
- May 28, 2008
- December 28, 2007
- October 10, 2007
- August 7, 2007
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- January 10, 2020
- December 21, 2017
- December 20, 2017
- September 9, 2016
- October 28, 2015
- August 4, 2015
- April 20, 2015
- January 27, 2014
- December 9, 2013