Appellate Specialty Team
The Appellate Practice Specialty Team at Butzel Long has earned a reputation as an elite and powerful group of practitioners, making great contributions to the success of our clients and supporting the many practice groups within Butzel Long. The Appellate Team consists of seasoned shareholder attorneys with clerking experience at both the state and federal courts, ambitious young lawyers, and former Supreme Court Justices. This gives Butzel Long an unparalleled depth and reputation that no other Michigan firm can match. Butzel Long’s Appellate Team works collaboratively to provide the highest level of legal expertise and detailed precision to give both clients and trial counsel the best odds of success at both the trial and appellate level.
Butzel Long’s appellate practice has a lengthy and distinguished record of success including representation in landmark cases that include Groesbeck v. Michigan State Telephone Company, 172 N.W. 799 206 Mich. 372 (1919), where the Michigan Supreme Court acknowledged that the President can exert control over local telephone and telegraph lines under federal war time powers; Milliken v. Bradley, 418 U.S. 717 (1974), where the United States Supreme Court overturned the City of Detroit’s metropolitan cross-district school busing plan; and Gratz v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 244 (2003) and Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 306 (2003), where the United States Supreme Court addressed the constitutionality of the University of Michigan undergraduate and law schools’ affirmative action policies.
Butzel Long’s Appellate Team regularly appear and achieve favorable outcomes in multiple state and federal courts, including the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Individuals, entities, businesses, companies, appellants, and appellees all turn to the Butzel Long Appellate Practice Specialty Team to provide a broad range of appellate services before State and Federal Courts of Appeals. Clients frequently turn to Butzel Long to defend or challenge a result obtained by prior counsel. Our skilled team also knows that the best odds on appeal begins with creating the best record possible in the trial court. Our appellate attorneys, including those who have served on the Michigan Supreme Court Jury Instruction Committee, routinely collaborate and work with trial counsel to craft trial strategies, motion practice, and jury instructions that enhance the chances of success.
- Butzel Long attorney celebrates 18th Adoption Day in Michigan; presents Maura D. Corrigan Foster Family Lifetime Achievement Award for service to children and familiesDecember 16, 2020
- Michigan Construction Industry benefits from Butzel Long’s role in Michigan Supreme Court Ruling on Commercial General Liability CoverageJuly 2, 2020
- The Michigan Supreme Court Struck Down Governor Whitmer’s Executive Orders Concerning COVID-19; Department of Health and Human Services Issues New OrdersOctober 5, 2020
- June 3, 2020
- April 16, 2020
- AO 2020-4: The Michigan Supreme Court Suspends Filing Deadlines in the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court, But Not Circuit Court AppealsMarch 26, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” and how COVID-19 could forever change the need for oral argument and why the written brief is all too important.March 23, 2020
- March 17, 2020
- March 12, 2020
- January 16, 2020