Antitrust & Trade Regulation
When companies seek to grow through capital formation or by acquiring the assets of other firms, Butzel Long attorneys advise and represent clients in every phase of the transaction. When companies embark on new marketing ventures or become more aggressive in the marketplace, Butzel Long attorneys advise in every phase of those efforts as well. Butzel Long attorneys practicing in the areas of Antitrust & Trade Regulation law are experienced in advising and assisting clients in structuring and negotiating transactions and business initiatives so that they comply with federal and state antitrust laws and trade regulations. Acquisition analyses and preparation, as well as filing of notification forms under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, are included in our range of services.
The scope of our practice ranges from small private offerings for start-up or unseasoned companies, to initial public offerings, public offerings for publicly held companies, and larger merger and acquisition transactions. Our attorneys assist Butzel Long litigators in takeover and other related litigation, frequently assist out-of-state counsel in connection with multi-state transactions, and have served as counsel to special investigation committees of organizations' Boards of Directors. Butzel Long attorneys handle multi-jurisdictional investigations and government and private litigation before antitrust enforcement agencies worldwide.
Our antitrust attorneys work closely with attorneys in our securities practice in matters of capital formation and mergers and acquisitions, and in complying with periodic and other reporting requirements for publicly held companies. They cover the Exon-Florio Act requirements if a transaction touches upon security issues.
Our team of professionals has guided clients through their important transactions and business initiatives in a sensible way and with a strong record of success. With our unique combination of antitrust, trial and securities lawyers, Butzel Long attorneys are able to address all of their clients antitrust and trade regulation compliance needs.
- Defended national health care certifing board in action alleging antitrust and false advertising violations; one of the leading 6th Circuit cases on false advertising law
- Successfully defended and defeated class certification motions in a multi-million dollar Florida concrete antitrust action
- Lead counsel in defense of a US subsidiary of an international cement and concrete company against civil price fixing and related Section 1 conspiracy claims.
- Represented President of Corporation in federal antitrust investigation re compressors
- Represented Company in federal antitrust investigation re transportation industry
- Represented a large consumer products company with respect to multiple threats of litigation from competitors, alleging that the client's distribution and discount agreements with retailers supported claims of monopolization
- Represented an international media conglomerate in connection with the European Commission's investigation into Google's actions in the online search market
- Marketing antitrust and sales advice to consumer electronics company
- Counsel and represent several large corporations with respect to antitrust issues implicated by a wide variety of licensing, pricing and distribution arrangements as well as proposed transactions and combinations
- Counsel and represent several large corporations with respect to antitrust issues implicated by a wide variety of licensing, pricing and distribution arrangements as well as proposed transactions and combinations.
- Analyzed antitrust risk of pending transactions for hedge funds and financial institutions.
- Obtained not guilty verdict at criminal antitrust trial for President of concrete company
- Marketing antitrust and sales advice to consumer electronics company; product recall advice
- Representation of numerous manufacturers in federal and state court litigations involving pricing, territorial and other distribution matters
- Represented auto supplier in major US and foreign antitrust investigation
- Represented multiple Corporations in federal antitrust investigation re highway contracts
- Represented Corporation in federal antitrust civil class action re automotive products
- Successfully represented residential real estate multi-list entity in antitrust dispute.
- Represented entities and individuals being investigated by the DOJ for criminal antitrust violations.
- Represented the largest car rental firm in defense of an antitrust case brought by smaller car rental firms alleging exclusionary practices in obtaining on-airport franchise locations
- Defense of major regional hospital system in an anti-trust case alleging conspiracy among hospital and physicians to exclude a cardiologist from the hospital staff
- Defended a major issuer of credit and debit cards against a class action of merchants claiming that its rule constituted a tie in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act as well as a monopolization of the alleged market for debit cards.
- Represented numerous Tier I auto suppliers in federal Antitrust investigations
- Represented multiple employees/ executives/ officers in major US and international antitrust investigations
- Represented attorney in federal antitrust.-related investigation
- U.S. News & World Report, November 1, 2018
- November 1, 2017
- September 5, 2017
- November 1, 2016
- December 12, 2014
- November 4, 2013
- November 1, 2013
- February 4, 2013
- Butzel Long attorney Joseph Richotte discusses confidential settlement agreements between local government and online travel companiesDecember 12, 2011
- June 9, 2011
- October 22, 2008