The Tax Group advises clients desiring to establish nonprofit organizations regarding various matters relating to their structure, formation and operations, whether the organization is a joint venture between an existing nonprofit and another entity or a private family foundation. We represent a broad range of nonprofit organizations including charitable, trade associations, health care providers, community organizations, educational institutions and foundations. The issues include the tax exempt qualification, unrelated business tax, excise tax advice, governance and policy adoption and implementation and many other issues. We have advised organizations on the necessary changes prompted by the new reporting obligations of the Form 990 and assisted organizations with the compliance requirements. In addition, the Tax Group has assisted nonprofit organizations in the creation of planned giving programs, as well as, together with the trust and estate department, advised donors and charitable organizations regarding charitable giving transactions.
- Butzel Long receives Pro Bono Service Award from Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Butzel Long Taxation and Succession Planning Institute plans half-day seminar on May 18 in Troy
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured during American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law 22nd Annual Spring Symposia on April 28, 2011 in Washington, D.C.
- Butzel Long's Taxation and Succession Planning Institute hosts seminar on June 4, 2009 in Troy
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2009
- The Latest From Congress on Tax and Related Fronts
- Michigan Voters Pass Proposal 1 to Remove Business Personal Property Tax
- IRS Releases Simplified Application Form for Exempt Organizations
- Simple Rules to Guide Tax-Exempt Organizations to Participate in Public Debate and Political Activities
- IRS Regulations of Political Activities of Tax-Exempt Organizations
- The IRS Publishes Proposed Regulations On Political Activities of 501(c)(4) Organizations
- Income Tax Newsletter - March 2008