Washington shareholder Les Glick, co-chair of the Butzel Long International Trade and Customs Specialty Team, served as a panelist and chairperson in a Practical Law Institute (PLI) program
Washington Shareholder Les Glick, co-chair of the Butzel Long International Trade and Customs Specialty team, has been a panelist and Chairperson in the Practical Law Institute(PLI) program entitled, The US Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA) NAFTA 2.0 - What Every In-House Counsel and General Practitioner Needs to Know Part II - New Chapters, Negotiations Overview, Rules of Origin.
The virtual program was taped and is currently available on the PLI website "Studio Briefings" section. Les, who has written books on NAFTA and USMCA, was Chairperson and a speaker along with Guillermo Malpica former head of the trade office at the Mexican Embassy in the U.S. ; executive director of the American Chamber of Commerce(AMCHAM) in Monterrey, Mexico and currently Secretary of Industry and Trade for the Mexican State of Puebla. The one hour program is available on demand on the PLI websites. Topics covered in the video program include:
- Introduction and overview - congressional role and fast track, comparisons with NAFTA
- New chapters - digital trade, environment, labor
- Significant revisions – energy, dispute settlement, rules of origin (automotive - overview of new rules of origin, labor value content, core parts, steel and aluminum content requirement)
- Summary of negotiations from perspective of a Mexican negotiator and your role in the negotiations
- Negotiation history, length, locations, details on most difficult issues and difference between priorities with Canada, Mexico and U.S.
- Bilateral vs trilateral talks- rules of origin, automotive
- Mexican views on changed requirements, calculating regional value content (RVC), calculating labor value content (LVC)
- Rules of origin for other products and origin procedures – textiles, chemicals and others
- Labor reform and changes made to Mexican labor laws - enforcement process and Mexican concerns
Registration discounts for Butzel Long clients can be obtained by contacting Les at Glick@butzel.com. A link with further information on the program and registration details is below: