T. Gordon Scupholm II is Counsel to Butzel, practicing in the firm's Troy office. He has been extensively involved in family law, including preparation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, probate litigation, business, and real estate litigation. Mr. Scupholm has been recognized by DBusiness as a Top Lawyer in Metro Detroit 2012 for Family Law, and is a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation.
Mr. Scupholm has successfully litigated matters involving property division, custody, visitation/parenting time, outstate domicile change for the children, safe delivery of newborns, and support enforcement. In addition, his trial experience includes will contests, fiduciary negligence, contested appointments of Guardians and Conservators, real estate and business litigation.
Mr. Scupholm is a member of the American Bar Association and its Family Law Section. He is a member of the Family Law Section and Probate and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. As a member of the Oakland County Bar Association, he has served as Chairman of the Probate, Estate and Trust Committee; he is a former member of the Family Law Committee and the Judicial Liaison Committee; and he served for many years as a member of the Public Advisory Committee on Judicial Candidates.
Mr. Scupholm is a graduate of Albion College (cum laude) and The University of Michigan Law School.
Primary Practice Areas
University of Michigan Law School
- American Bar Association - Family Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan - Family Law Section and Probate and Trust Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association - Former Chairman of the Probate, Estate and Trust Committee former member of the Family Law Committee and the Judicial Liaison Committee former member of the Public Advisory Committee on Judicial Candidates
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2018-2023
Michigan State Bar Foundation - Fellow
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Family Law, 2011 & 2012
- Developed creative estate planning vehicle to divide interest in divorce proceeding to keep family business intact and do succession planing at the same time.
- Represented both husbands and wives in numerous matters involving complex divorce related issues.
- Represented professionals and/or spouses in matters involving high wage earners, spousal support and the tax consequences arising therefrom.
- Represented owners/partners in closely held businesses seeking sole control of family owned business through the divorce.
- Represented parties seeking change of domicile as part of a job transfer or remarriage.
- Represented a woman in a vegetative state through her Court appointed guardian to obtain a divorce from abusive husband resulting in the existing state of the law on a guardian initiated divorce.
- Represented parties seeking to modify child and/or spousal support.
- Represented parties seeking to change or modify custody and/or parenting time.
- Represented several sports and media professionals in divorce, custody, and paternity related matters
- Represented parties seeking to enforce Judgments and/or Settlement Agreements.
- Drafted numerous Prenuptial Agreements and other forms of contracts between partners in an intimate relationship.
- Represented high level executives in numerous divorces involving dividing interests in closely held stock interests, stock options and other forms of benefits.
News & Events
- Firm News, 8.18.2022