IP Litigation Associate
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. or Detroit, MI
GENERAL PURPOSE: We are hiring an associate attorney to join our intellectual property litigation team in either Washington, D.C. or Detroit, MI, to help us handle our diverse, dynamic, and growing book of business. Associates may also assist our offices in Michigan as needed. Illustrative cases include patent infringement lawsuits and appeals in federal courts, patent post-grant proceedings, trademark oppositions and litigation, and trade secret litigation. Our clients include Fortune 500 companies as well as startups. Our current cases are pending in federal courts across the country. We are looking for an attorney who is able to perform the general duties of an associate attorney by drafting pleadings, conducting research, attending hearings, participating in court appearances, conducting depositions, managing and advising clients, and providing high-level support and assistance to partner-level litigation attorneys during all phases of litigation.
Butzel Long has been in existence for over 165 years and has helped shape the legal and business landscape of the city of Detroit and this region for over one-and-a-half centuries. We continue to grow our client base and to be at the forefront of some of the biggest cases and most important issues in our industry. We are seeking a standout candidate to join our growing team in Washington, D.C.
- Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals and businesses involved in litigation.
- Demonstrate an ability to cultivate and generate new client relationships.
- Manage new and existing client relationships.
- Conduct research and draft memos for partners.
- Draft pleadings, motions, and briefs.
- Attend legal proceedings, such as motion hearings, evidentiary hearings, mediations, and depositions.
- Assist with all areas of discovery including, but not limited to: drafting discovery requests, drafting responses to discovery requests, preparation of initial disclosures, and witness preparation.
- Work with partner-level attorneys to determine documents and information to produce, manner of production, and selection of vendors.
- Organize, review, and maintain documents produced; perform, supervise, or coordinate coding of case documents and development of databases and/or other litigation support applications including Everlaw and Relativity.
- Review and analyze documents for responsiveness to discovery requests.
- Monitor the status and completeness of discovery responses.
- Review and assemble deposition, trial, and motion exhibits.
- Index and summarize deposition testimony and exhibits.
- Gather impeaching materials for adverse experts including prior testimony, transcripts, articles, and publications.
- Prepare trial materials.
- Attend and assist at pretrial, trial, and post-trial proceedings.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Superior intellect and quick grasp of complex legal issues, as evidenced by superior grades in law school and/or work experience in similar settings.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work as needed to get any task done.
- Good organizational and project management skills.
- Proficient in the use of on-line legal research services and legal resources.
- Superior legal writing skills.
- Excellent oral communication.
- Must have sound judgment.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates expertise in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to work collaboratively and as a member of a team with internal and external contacts.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and situations.
- Proven willingness to work hard in a fast-paced atmosphere.
- Experience with use of document/discovery data bases (e.g. Relativity).
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING:
- Must be a graduate of an accredited law school.
- At least 3 years as a practicing attorney.
- 3-7 years of experience.
- Admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia preferred, or other state.
To submit your resume or for information regarding current career opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org