LOCATION: Detroit or Troy Michigan (willing to consider remote candidates that meet certain qualifications)
GENERAL PURPOSE: Provide paralegal support for attorneys within the business/corporate practice group in a fast-paced law firm, including drafting and filing organizational documents and managing transactional and routine corporate governance matters.
- Conduct legal and factual research using government (federal, state, and local) websites, Westlaw and other legal resources.
- Draft and file (as applicable) organizational documents to commence business entity existence, including Articles, Bylaws, and minutes of meetings/consent resolutions, confirm name availability and reserve or register company name.
- Prepare and file state tax registrations (e.g., workers’ compensation insurance and unemployment insurance), and initial IRS filings (e.g., SS-4 and Form 2553).
- Act as point of contact for registered agent services and work with third party service providers for out of state filings.
- Manage, organize, and track business entities (including states of registration, identification numbers and other company data), and prepare and file (as applicable) routine governance documents including election documents, assumed name certificates, documents necessary to change registered office or agent, annual reports, amendments to Articles, and foreign qualifications/business registrations.
- Draft meeting notices and minutes/written consent resolutions for such meetings, including annual meetings to elect officers and directors and special meetings; prepare and update minute books.
- Provide merger and acquisition and other transactional support, including conducting UCC, tax lien, and litigation searches and report of results, management of closing checklists, management of due diligence processes, and maintenance of data-rooms, and obtaining certificates of good standing and other certified documents.
- Draft and file UCC financing statements in appropriate jurisdictions (at state and county level).
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Understanding of basic entity organizational structure and general familiarity with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
- Superior organizational skills and excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to take ownership over tasks, prioritize and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in document management systems (such as iManage) and the use of Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Bachelor’s degree and Paralegal certification from an ABA approved program preferred.
- At least five (5) experience with demonstrated abilities in most major areas of responsibility.
To submit your resume or for information regarding current career opportunities, please contact email@example.com