What differentiates our law firm from any other? Ultimately, it is our culture. At Butzel Long, our values are central to our culture, and these values attract a certain lawyer. We believe our recruiting efforts are critical to our success and are diligent about accessing talent whose values align with ours.
POSITION: Litigation Legal Secretary
Under general direction, performs a variety of complex and secretarial legal work. Assist attorneys and paralegals in managing the litigation discovery process, document collection and preservation, document review, document production tasks, and maintaining the case filing systems. The work is specialized and requires knowledge of the preparation and processing requirements of legal documents, legal terminology, civil procedures and discovery, sources of law and the court system.
NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties.
- Type a variety of reports and legal documents for which knowledge of legal terminology, civil procedure and discovery is required.
- Open and maintain digital legal files according to accepted legal practices and firm policy.
- Provide case management assistance and tracking of litigation.
Compose a variety of correspondence.
- Format briefs, pleadings and other legal documents with a demonstrated ability to file legal documents both traditionally and by electronic filing.
- Maintain attorney calendars by planning and scheduling conferences, teleconferences, depositions, and travel; record and monitor court appearance dates, pleadings, and filing requirements; monitor & organize evidence-gathering; anticipate changes in litigation or transaction preparation requirements.
- Document and input attorney billable and non-billable time and reimbursable expenses.
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the job classification.
- Maintain client confidence by keeping attorney/client information confidential.
- Relieve receptionist at front desk for lunch hours once per week or as needed.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess excellent written and verbal skills.
- Good proofreading, grammar and editing skills.
- Responsible, organized, detail-oriented and a problem solver.
- Knowledgeable regarding federal and state regulatory filings.
- Able to generate TOC and TOA.
- Able to handle multiple tasks in timely manner.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with the following software programs preferred: Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint), Litigation support software and Adobe Professional.
- High production skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of employees.
- Use good judgment to make decisions appropriate to level of responsibilities.
- Ability to learn new skills and systems quickly.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING:
Minimum five years of relevant secretarial work in a law firm; OR completion of qualifying legal secretary or legal assistant course work in a recognized business school or college, and two years law office experience.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.