Robert M. Nemzin
Robert M. Nemzin is a shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Bloomfield Hills office. He concentrates his practice in the areas of estate planning and succession planning, counseling individuals and business owners on the various aspects of estate and wealth transfer planning. Mr. Nemzin has extensive experience in sophisticated tax planning techniques, including planning for dynasty trusts, life insurance trust planning, charitable trust planning, family limited partnerships and limited liability companies. Mr. Nemzin also has extensive experience in probate, and trust administration and the formation and operation of public charities and private foundations.
Mr. Nemzin is a graduate of New York University School of Law (LL.M., Taxation, 2007). He is also a graduate of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2006) where he was the Title Editor for the Law Review and a member of the Frank Murphy Honor Society and the Alpha Sigma Nu National Jesuit Honor Society.
Mr. Nemzin is admitted to practice in Michigan and New York. He is a member of the American Bar Association, Section of Taxation. He is also a member of the ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section and serves as the Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers Network. He also served as a Fellow in the ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Fellows Program, which annually selects only three trusts and estates attorneys in the United States. His other memberships include the State Bar of Michigan and the New York State Bar Association.
Mr. Nemzin is a frequent national lecturer on various estate planning topics. His presentations include: "Hot Topics" at the 2012 ABA Tax/RPTE Joint Fall CLE meeting, "Hot Topics and Business Entities Owning Investment Portfolios" at the 2012 ABA RPTE Spring Symposia "Uplifting Gifting - Using Additional Gift, Estate and Generation-Skipping Tax Exemption to Maximize Business Succession Planning" at the 2011 ABA Tax/RPTE Joint Fall CLE meeting, "The Lifecycle of a Family Business Owner: Birth, Midlife Crisis, Death and Beyond!" at the 2010 ABA RPTE Spring Symposia; "Planning with Tenancies in Common - An Alternative to an FLP?" at the 2009 ABA Tax/RPTE Joint Fall CLE meeting; and, "Recent Developments in Estate Planning and Estate Administration with Closely-Held Businesses" at the 2008 ABA Tax/RPTE Joint Fall CLE meeting.
- Administration of Estates
- Cannabis Law Specialty Team
- Charitable Planning
- Entity Selection & Structure
- Estate & Succession Planning
- Estate Transfer Tax Planning
- Non Profit Organizations
- State and Local Taxation
- Succession Planning for Closely Held Businesses
- Tax Controversy
- Tax Exempt Organizations
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law 2006, J.D.
- University of Michigan 2003, B.A.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. Taxation
Michigan Lawyer's Weekly "Up & Coming Lawyer", 2013
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star - Estate and Probate, 2013-2018
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Tax Law & Trusts and Estates, 2017 & 2018
- New York
American Bar Association - Section of Taxation and Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law
State Bar of Michigan
New York State Bar Association
- Provided estate and succession planning services for some of the wealthiest individuals in Michigan.
- Provided complex Estate Planning services for numerous Senior Executive level individuals from major automotive manufacturers.
- Handled the administration of several estates in excess of $100 million.
- Created numerous private charitable foundations.
- Butzel Long attorney Robert Nemzin quoted in Crain's Detroit Business on the topic of wealth management
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin named to Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s 2013 Class of “Up & Coming Lawyers”
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin appointed to leadership positions by the ABA’s Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured during American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law 22nd Annual Spring Symposia on April 28, 2011 in Washington, D.C.
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin appointed Co-Vice-Chair of the Young Lawyers Network, Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law of the American Bar Association
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured during the ABA Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law's 21st Annual Symposia May 6-7, 2010 in Philadephia
- Butzel Long attorney Robert Nemzin featured during Joint Fall CLE Meeting of ABA Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law and ABA Taxation Section
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured during ABA teleconference on Estate Planning for Business Owners on January 6, 2009
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin featured at ABA's Section of Taxation & Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Joint Fall Meeting
- Butzel Long attorney Robert M. Nemzin appointed to serve as a Fellow in the ABA Real Property, Trust and Estate Fellows Program
- March 6, 2019
- Internal Revenue Service Victorious in Denying Deduction of Business Expenses for Cannabis DispensaryDecember 3, 2018
- October 18, 2018
- January 5, 2018
- December 21, 2017
- Now Is the Time to Review Michigan Property Tax Assessments to Avoid Excessive Property Tax PaymentsJune 26, 2017
- September 9, 2016
- Now is the Time to Review Michigan Property Tax Assessments to Avoid Excessive Property Tax PaymentsFebruary 16, 2016
- October 28, 2015
- August 4, 2015
- August 18, 2014
- October 7, 2010
- March 30, 2009
- January 26, 2009
- November 1, 2008
- October 28, 2008
- May 1, 2008
- March 1, 2008
- January 1, 2008