Robert A. Hudson
Robert A. Hudson is Counsel to Butzel Long, practicing in the firm's Bloomfield Hills office. He is a graduate of Wayne State University (B.A. with Distinction, 1969; J.D., cum laude, 1972), and was on the editorial board of the Wayne Law Review.
Mr. Hudson represents domestic and foreign public and private companies and high-technology companies in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and general business matters. He has extensive experience in securities matters including numerous public and private equity and debt offerings, venture capital finance, compliance, reporting requirements, going private transactions, investment management, and corporate governance matters. He regularly assists foreign-based companies in connection with U.S. and cross-border transactions, joint ventures, distribution and sale arrangements and trade matters. His industry expertise includes manufacturing, high-technology including software, Internet and computer services, financial services, automotive and real estate investment trusts.
Mr. Hudson served as general counsel for a NASDAQ listed company, handling a wide variety of the company's general corporate and regulatory issues. He is a former Chair of the firm’s Corporate Department. He has also appeared before the United States Supreme Court, the Securities and Exchange Commission and numerous other courts and agencies.
Mr. Hudson's professional memberships include the ABA's Committees on Federal Regulation of Securities, State Regulation of Securities and International Business Law, former Council Member of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, and former Chairman of the Securities and Commodities Law Committee of the Metropolitan Detroit Bar Association. His business and community memberships include President Emeritus and Board member of the Michigan Chapter of the French-American Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Business Law Advisory Board of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Mr. Hudson is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law and International Trade and Finance Law and as Lawyer of the Year in International Trade and Finance Law in Detroit for 2014, 2016 and 2019; in Michigan Super Lawyers (Securities and Corporate Finance Law) and in Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit by DBusiness magazine. He is an AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell.
Languages: English, French
- Business Partnerships, Joint Ventures, and LLCs
- Corporate and Finance
- Corporate Governance
- E-Discovery Specialty Team
- Emerging Technology
- Europe International Team
- Financial Services
- Fund Formation
- International Business
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Regulatory Compliance
- Securities Fraud
- Wayne State University 1969, B.A.
- Wayne State University Law School 1972, J.D.
Best Lawyers' 2014, 2016 Detroit International Trade and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year"
The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law; International Trade and Finance Law, 1997-2020, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2020
Michigan Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate Law, 2006-2018
Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition - International Law
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent
Mr. Hudson has been included in The BTI Consulting Group's coveted Client Services All Star Team. This honor is bestowed upon individual attorneys who deliver outstanding client service according to corporate counsel interviewed at Fortune 1000 companies.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Corporate Law, 2012-2016 & 2019 Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2012-2014 Business Law Information Technology Law International Trade and Finance Law Securities Law, 2012-2013, 2016-2019
American Bar Association - Committees on Federal Regulation of Securities, State Regulation of Securities and International Business Law
State Bar of Michigan - former Council Member of the Business Law Section
Metropolitan Detroit Bar Association - former Chairman of the Securities and Commodities Law Committee
Michigan Chapter of the French-American Chamber of Commerce - President Emeritus and Board member
Institute of Continuing Legal Education - Business Law Advisory Board
- Representation of technology company in Series A and Series B venture capital financings, including due diligence, bridge financing, investor documentation, employment agreements, etc.
- Acted as interim general counsel for publicly-held technology company and supervised company’s adoption of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance procedures and insider trading policy.
- Successfully closed a complex, $50 million private equity financing including a reincorporation merger and a myriad of difficult pre-closing transactions
- Represented software development company in sales of shares
- Represented manufacturer and supplier to defense industry in sale of stock
- Assisted with purchase and sale of investment advisory businesses
- Assisted venture capital firm with Series A Preferred Stock investment in new start-up company together with organizational work
- Private equity offering
- Provided regulatory advice for fee structures, advertising activities and other operations matters
- Representation of company for purchase of telecommunications business in over 25 countries.
- Acted as counsel in international acquisition of software company. The transaction included multi-jurisdictional asset transfers, export controls issues and special licensing and development agreements.
- Renewal and expansion of loan to related entity for major mortgage company
- Representation of French company in acquisition of troubled assets of automotive supplier with U.S. and Canadian operations.
- Representation of French company in joint venture with Japanese company including negotiations and preparation of joint venture agreement, structuring joint venture capital contributions and addressing governance issues.
- Representation of public company in connection with SEC investigation.
- Representation of health services company in reverse merger with a public company as means of going public.
- Representation of investment adviser for formation of hedge fund of funds.
- Assisted Lakeshore Engineering Services Inc. in their acquisition of Toltest Inc., creating Lakeshore Toltest Corp., one of the largest federal and municipal contracting companies in the Midwest.
- Represented a private equity investor in the lengthy and complicated effort to purchase all of Ford Motor Company's glass manufacturing operations in North America
- Securitization of mortgage loan pool
- Representation of engineering services client in acquisition of other engineering services company structured share exchange.
- Acted as counsel for issuers and for participating broker-dealer firms in many private securities offerings pursuant to SEC Regulation D, Regulation S and various state exemptions.
- Venture capital financing for a home health care services corporation.
- Preparation of numerous dividend reinvestment and share repurchase plans for public companies including all required filings with SEC.
- Argued case under the Commodity Exchange Act (CEA) before the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of commodity customer with resulting favorable opinion ruling that implied right of action exists under the CEA.
- Organized private equity and venture capital funds
- Private placement of real estate fund LLC interests.
- Private equity offering
- Restructuring of European companies and their subsidiaries in numerous countries to achieve optional organizational benefits
- Asset acquisition for publicly traded foreign-based corporation
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for the initial public offering of software company.
- Represented recruiting company in private placement of preferred stock
- Counsel for public companies in manufacturing, bio-medical, technology and real estate industries in going private transactions including all filings with SEC.
- Sale of assets
- Represented real estate development in private placement of LLC interests
- Registered equity offering for publicly traded real estate trust
- Assisted numerous clients with international transactions involving environmental due diligence and permitting throughout South America, Asia and Europe.
- Successfully negotiated dispute with large shareholder including redemption of shares and related tax and financing issues
- Asset acquisition for major international manufacturer
- Registration of federal only and state investment advisers including assistance with FINRA and state filings, preparation of compliance manuals, privacy policies and compliance procedures
- Assisted with preparation of investment management agreements, solicitor agreements and other agreements relating to investment advisory business
- Represented real estate limited partnership in private equity offering
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in disposition of two health care subsidiaries. Issues included structuring for tax and regulatory considerations, state licensing transfer requirements and filings.
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for initial public offering and follow on offering for real estate investment trust.
- Organization of hedge funds and private placement of hedge fund LLC interests.
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for public debt offering for a financial services firm.
- Represented software company in private placement of common stock
- Representation of broker-dealer firm in SEC receivership proceedings under SIPC resulting from net capital violations.
- Securitization of mortgage pool for major financial company
- Organized hedge funds including hedge fund of funds
- DBusiness Magazine
- Butzel Long attorneys Robert A. Hudson and Robert H. Schwartz are contributors to ICLE’s Michigan Business Formbook
- Butzel Long attorney is president of French-American Chamber of Commerce Michigan Chapter
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2010: Forty-nine attorneys recognized in national listing
- Butzel Long attorney Robert A. Hudson featured at MACPA 2007 Personal Financial Planning Conference on November 13
- July 30, 2015
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Final Dodd-Frank Definition of Accredited InvestorDecember 23, 2011
- November 1, 2011
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Inflation Adjusted Definition of “Qualified Client” Under The Investment Advisers ActJuly 20, 2011
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Significant Implementing Rules For Investment Advisers Under Dodd-Frank ActJuly 5, 2011
- November 29, 2010
- July 23, 2010
- July 12, 2010
- March 1, 2010
- February 8, 2010
- September 1, 2009
- August 11, 2009
- August 7, 2009
- February 20, 2009
- January 13, 2009
- August 1, 2008
- July 23, 2008
- July 21, 2008
- February 19, 2008
- January 1, 2008
- August 31, 2007
- June 28, 2006