Neil Patel is an associate in Butzel Long’s Bloomfield Hills office. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business and corporate law.
Mr. Patel advises and counsels clients on matters related to the sale or acquisition of businesses, general corporate and business law, entity formation, shareholder disputes, and preparation and negotiation of corporate and transactional documents, including merger & acquisitions, operating and compliance documents. He provides legal services to clients in a wide array of businesses, including the medical, manufacturing, franchising, technology and hospitality industries.
Mr. Patel has recently acted as counsel on the following matters, which are representative of his experience:
- Acquisition by an international client of a Texas-based software company
- Acquisition of a controlling interest in a California corporation
- Sale of a franchise hotel business, including related real estate
- Acquisition of a multi-unit retail franchise business
- Redemption of shares in a Michigan corporation
- Negotiation of a complex operating agreement with various rights assigned to multiple members and classes of units
- Litigation and favorable settlement of a shareholder dispute
- Formation of a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation
- Recapitalization of shares in a Michigan corporation
- Acquisition of commercial real estate, including extensive review of current tenant leases
In addition to representing established businesses, Mr. Patel is active in start-up and growth-stage ventures, providing advice and counsel to help clients make sound business decisions.
Prior to pursuing his legal career, Mr. Patel spent nearly a decade owning and operating multiple units of a national restaurant franchise. His experience as a business owner gives him the unique ability to provide clients with guidance on legal matters while simultaneously minding the practicality of that advice from the client’s business perspective.
Mr. Patel is a graduate of Western Michigan University (J.D., magna cum laude) and the University of Windsor, Ontario (Bachelor of Commerce). While in law school, Mr. Patel served as Senior Editor of the Law Review and a member of the moot court executive board. Mr. Patel's academic distinction was acknowledged during law school by his receipt of book awards for the highest grade in Advanced Legal Writing, Business Organizations, Taxation, Business Planning, Property I, and Pre-Trial Skills.
To complement his academic activities during law school, Mr. Patel interned with Judge Victoria A. Roberts of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and was employed as a teaching assistant for Civil Procedure.
Mr. Patel is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the South Asian Bar Association (SABA), and a Young Leaders member of the Detroit Economic Club. He participated in the Detroit Economic Club’s Career Readiness Academy, a six-month program that mentors high school students regarding career aspirations and connects them with leaders and contemporary issues. In addition to his external activities, Mr. Patel is a member of the firm’s recruiting, diversity, and retention committee.
Mr. Patel is admitted to practice in Michigan state courts and the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. He is a dual citizen of Canada and the U.S.
- Western Michigan University, J.D.
- University of Windsor
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2018
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
State Bar of Michigan
South Asian Bar Association
Detroit Economic Club
- December 2, 2019
- March 6, 2019
- October 18, 2018
- July 30, 2015
- April 14, 2015
- February 12, 2015