Linda J. Armstrong
Linda J. Armstrong is a shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Detroit office and serves as the Chair of the firm's Immigration Practice Department.
Ms. Armstrong concentrates her practice in the area of business and family immigration law, including all aspects involved with the international movement of personnel; immigration consequences of corporate restructuring, mergers and acquisitions; employer and workplace compliance issues, including I-9 and H-1B public access file investigations; inbound and outbound work-authorized immigrant and nonimmigrant matters; and labor certification. At the same time, Armstrong is a member of the Firm's Paralegal Committee and the Firm's Global Automotive Industry Group.
She provides on-site training to business clients on numerous topics, including US nonimmigrant visas; US permanent resident processing; employer compliance issues, including I-9 completion and compliance and H-1B public access file compliance; and outbound general strategic planning. Armstrong is a frequent speaker on business immigration to professional and business organizations, including the International Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, Michigan Infrastructure & Transportation Association, Walsh College, and the Original Equipment Suppliers Association (OESA).
Ms. Armstrong has helped organize and has presented at Butzel Long's full-day Immigration Seminar and/or the Butzel Long’s Annual Labor, Employment and Immigration Law Forum for the past 20 years.
She is a member of the American Bar Association; Federal Bar Association, past Immigration Committee Co-Chair; State Bar of Michigan: International Law Section, past Council Member and Chair, Immigration Committee; Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association; American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA); AILA Michigan Chapter and past Membership Committee Chair and Department of Labor Liaison.
Prior to joining Butzel Long, Armstrong was an associate at another major Detroit law firm, where her practice was concentrated in the area of immigration law. She also was employed as Associate General Counsel with Federal-Mogul Corporation where she had responsibility for legal matters relating to employment relations, product liability, advertising, political action committees, and immigration.
Ms. Armstrong is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Immigration Law). She is a graduate of Madonna College (B.S., 1982) and Detroit College of Law (J.D., 1988).
- Madonna College Undergraduate 1982, B.S.
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University Law School 1998, J.D.
The Best Lawyers in America, Immigration Law, 2011-2021
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Immigration Law, 2011-2021
American Bar Association
Federal Bar Association: Immigration Committee Co-Chair
State Bar of Michigan
State Bar of Michigan: International Law Section, Council Member
State Bar of Michigan, International Law Section, Immigration Committee - past Co-Chair
Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
AILA Michigan Chapter - Committee Member
AILA Michigan Chapter: Department of Labor Liaison
Butzel Long Pro Bono Committee
- Prepared J-1 waivers of 2 year foreign residency requirement based on no-objection letters, interested government agencies, hardship and other grounds
- Represented employers in investigations conducted by the USDOL concerning H-1B Labor Condition Application public access file including benching and wage and hour issues.
- Represented employers during investigations conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement or Department of Labor regarding employment verification issues.
- Consulted with clients regarding special permanent resident card interviews
- Represented employers in USCIS administrative site visit
- Obtained re-entry permit to maintain permanent residency for individuals transferred overseas
- Assisted with preservation of residency for naturalization purposes for individuals transferred overseas
- Obtained approval of Immigration Petition for Alien of Extraordinary Ability for various professionals including engineers, scientists, corporate executives, professional athletes, entertainers, coaches, and trainers.
- Managed multi-country projects and obtained work authorizations in multiple jurisdictions for individuals of various nationalities.
- Assisted employers in obtaining appropriate nonimmigrant classification (TN, H-1B, H-3, L-1A, L-1B, O-1, E-1/E-2, P) and immigrant classification (EB-1, EB-2, EB-3 and EB-5).
- Represented clients in complex naturalization matters including restoration of U.S. citizenship, appeals for denied naturalization applications, and evaluate strategies for overcoming grounds of ineligibility.
- Obtained permanent resident status pursuant to registry provisions based on residence in U.S. since January 1972
- Obtained re-entry permits to maintain permanent residence status in the United States for individuals transferred abroad
- Conducted internal audits of I-9 forms for clients
- Represented clients with applications of waiver of inadmissibility due to past legal history or immigration history.
- Obtained removal of conditions on permanent residency
- Advised employers regarding maintenance of employer/employee relationship when foreign national is placed offsite
- Represented clients at Port of Entry to process admission to US under NAFTA
- Assisted family members in obtaining appropriate fianc
- Provided preventative counseling on Department of Homeland Security and Department of Labor investigations and employer sanctions.
- Conducted in-house training regarding preparing and maintaining H-1B public access files and Labor Certification Applications
- Conducted in-house training on I-9 form compliance and retention, including electronic completion and storage of I-9 forms
- Preparation of J-1 Exchange Visitor and H-3 Trainee applications and petitions for employees of foreign companies with U.S. facilities
- Evaluated retention of dual citizenship for U.S. and other countries such as Germany, Italy, Australia, Canada, etc.
- Analyzed effect of corporate changes, including mergers and acquisitions, on foreign national’s immigration status.
- Represented employers during investigations conducted by USICE and USDOL regarding employment verification issues
- Represented clients in obtaining visas at various US Embassies and Consulates abroad
- Butzel Long attorney Linda J. Armstrong named "2019 Honoree for Michigan Women in the Law" by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- DBusiness Magazine
- How auto leaders should address talent attraction/ retention/ and contractual/ legal issues are focus of timely, upcoming seminars
- Butzel Long hosts 27th Annual Labor, Employment, and Immigration Law Forum November 7, 2014 in Dearborn
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel ranked by Chambers USA 2014 in the First Tier in White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations firm's Immigration Practice ranked nationally
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- October 2, 2020
- September 28, 2020
- June 23, 2020
- June 19, 2020
- April 27, 2020
- Presidential Proclamation Suspending Entry of Immigrants Who Present Risk to the U.S. Labor Market During the Economic Recovery Following the COVID-19 OutbreakApril 24, 2020
- USCIS Field Offices, Asylum Offices, and Application Support Centers are Closed to Mitigate the Spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19)March 18, 2020
- March 17, 2020
- Suspension of Operations of Certain U.S. Consulates in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) OutbreakMarch 16, 2020
- Presidential Proclamation Suspending the Entry of Foreign Nationals who have been present in Europe within the Schengen AreaMarch 13, 2020
- January 23, 2020
- June 28, 2018
- June 30, 2017
- March 16, 2017
- February 1, 2017
- January 30, 2017
- February 24, 2015
- Immigration - U.S. Customs and Border Protection to Begin Rollout of Automated Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record on April 30, 2013April 30, 2013
- March 15, 2013
- April 22, 2010
- January 6, 2009
- December 16, 2008
- August 14, 2008
- January 25, 2008
- November 30, 2007
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Livonia, MI
- Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Dearborn, MI