John P. Hancock Jr.
John P. Hancock, Jr. is a shareholder based in Butzel Long's Detroit office. He is a graduate of Duke University Law School and the University of Notre Dame.
Mr. Hancock's practice focuses on collective bargaining negotiations and arbitrations as well as counseling of both public and private employers. He has also done extensive employment litigation and OSHA litigation. Mr. Hancock has served as chief negotiator in numerous collective bargaining negotiations for public schools, municipal and public utilities as well as clients in various other businesses ranging from casinos to steel plants to hospitals and country clubs. A good portion of his practice is devoted to counseling clients on employment issues.
Mr. Hancock is a former Chair of the State Bar of Michigan Labor Law Section, and a member of the American Bar Association, the Detroit Bar Association, and the Michigan Council of School Attorneys. He is a Fellow of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation, a Board Member of the National Safety Council of Southeastern Michigan and a member of the American Employment Law Council. He is past chair of the firm's Labor and Employment Practice Group and is a member of the Oakland County Roundtable on Education and the Workforce. Mr. Hancock has authored numerous articles and is a frequent lecturer on a wide variety of labor and employment related issues. He has overseen the development of the firm's program of On-Site Seminars for Administrators and Supervisors in Labor and Employment Law. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, the International Who's Who of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Who's Who Legal USA - Management Labor & Employment and Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business and has been selected as a Michigan Superlawyer and Best Of Class.
- Duke University Law School Law School 1973, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame Undergraduate 1970, B.A.
College of Labor and Employment Lawyers - Fellow
Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers - Labor & Employment
The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management; Labor Law - Management; Litigation - Labor & Employment, 1995-2019
International Who's Who of Labor and Employment Lawyers
Who's Who Legal USA - Management Labor & Employment
Michigan Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor Law, 2006, 2017 & 2018
Best of Class
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Labor and Employment Law, 2011 & 2012, 2015-2017; Civil Rights Law, 2011-2013; Litigation - Labor Employment Benefits, 2016, 2017 & 2019; Employee Benefits Law, 2019
State Bar of Michigan - former Chair of the Labor and Employment Section
American Bar Association
Detroit Bar Association
Michigan Council of School Attorneys
Safety Council of Southeastern Michigan - Board Member
Oakland County Roundtable on Education and the Workforce
American Employment Law Council
- Represented a full service non-profit community supported hospital as a debtor in possession in Chapter 11 proceedings
- Dismissal of a breach of contract/ Whistleblower claim
- Represented a private equity investor in the lengthy and complicated effort to purchase all of Ford Motor Company's glass manufacturing operations in North America
- DBusiness Magazine
- Butzel Long’s Immigration Department is the only Michigan law firm recognized in Immigration ranking by Chambers USA 2016
- Butzel Long hosts 27th Annual Labor, Employment, and Immigration Law Forum November 7, 2014 in Dearborn
- Butzel Long attorney David F. DuMouchel ranked by Chambers USA 2014 in the First Tier in White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations firm's Immigration Practice ranked nationally
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock Jr. quoted in article titled "Workplace health incentives: Legal discrimination?" at abc15.com
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in The Wall Street Journal article titled "When Your Boss Makes You Pay for Being Fat"
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock Jr. quoted in Lawyers.com article titled "Dunkin’ Donuts Seeks to Limit Employees’ Obamacare Coverage"
- Butzel Long attorney to discuss Michigan’s Right-to-Work Laws during “Lunch and Launch” program on February 21, 2013 in Sterling Heights
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on implications of Chicago teachers' strike on rest of the country
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on the impact of teacher unions
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. discusses Chicago teachers strike in Christian Science Monitor
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. discusses Chicago teachers strike in Law 360 article
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on Chicago teacher strike
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in Law 360 article on union-relations privilege
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in article on the 9th Circuit’s rejection of consumer class action against Kellogg Co. in part because of excessive attorneys’ fees
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in MSNBC article on Yahoo CEO resume issue
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. discusses labor union implications related to suspension of players who took part in Saints' bounty program
- Butzel Long attorney John P. Hancock, Jr. quoted in HR Compliance Law Bulletin article on moonlighting and employers' rights
- Butzel Long attorney John Hancock, Jr. quoted in article about National Basketball Association parity
- Butzel Long attorney John Hancock, Jr. discusses U.S. Supreme Court case involving challenge to clergy exemption
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2010: Forty-nine attorneys recognized in national listing
- Employer Asking Employees Not To Discuss With Co-Workers Employment-Related Matters Under Ongoing Internal Investigation Violates The NLRAAugust 24, 2012
- September 1, 2010
- January 1, 2008
- January 1, 2008
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Detroit, MI
- Dearborn, MI