Donald V. Orlandoni
Donald V. Orlandoni is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Detroit office. Don represents companies and individuals in complex business and commercial matters. He has a record of achieving positive outcomes for his clients through experienced counseling and in pre-lawsuit negotiations, state and federal court litigation, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Don has developed particular expertise in the following areas:
- Commercial contract disputes, including manufacturing supply-chain and other disputes arising under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
- Business disputes involving breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, conversion, negligence, and other torts
- Non-compete and trade secret litigation
- Franchising and distribution disputes involving trademark, trade secret, non-compete, and other contract claims
- Government bid protests and supply-chain disputes
In those areas, Don has successfully represented clients across a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, and other manufacturers; wireless and wireline telecommunication service providers; supply-chain logistics companies, temporary staffing companies; outsourced human capital management companies; food manufacturers; and various private equity portfolio companies.
Don also chairs the firm’s Government Contracts, Aerospace and Defense practice group. In that capacity, he and his team provide expertise in the following areas: government contracts counseling; bid protests, claims and disputes, and prime/sub litigation; supply chain and flow-down counseling; data privacy, cybersecurity, and crisis management; compliance and internal investigations; and government relations and advocacy.
Additionally, Don has substantial experience in the following areas:
- Consumer and commercial financial services litigation
- WARN Act litigation
- Defense of insurance companies
- Legal malpractice defense
- OSHA and MIOSHA claims
- Avoidance (preference) actions and claims litigation in commercial bankruptcies
In those capacities, Don has successfully represented manufacturers, banks, commercial lenders and loan servicers, private equity firms, as well as property, casualty, life, and commercial insurance companies.
Before he became a lawyer, Don worked in the automotive and pharmaceutical industries. He earlier served as an infantryman in the United States Marine Corps.
Don earned a J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, from Wayne State University Law School, where he was assistant editor of The Wayne Law Review. He received a B.S. from the United States Naval Academy.
- The transportation revolution: Will smart tech fundamentally change how we travel?
- Auto recalls make strange bedfellows
- U.S. manufacturing and the rift over the Ex-Im Bank
- The line between fair and unfair competition
- Insurance companies may find salvation in pro rata insurance clauses
- You worked hard for your trade secrets. Protect them.
- Huawei Scraps the Shield and Brings the Sword
- Is US Satellite Technology at Risk?
- Panel Discussion/Webcast: When OSHA knocks on your door will you be ready? – Wednesday, April 17, 2013
- Panel Discussion: Supply Chain Meets Industry 4.0, Michigan Defense Expo. – Thursday, April 26, 2018
- Presentation: OESA 2019 Butzel Long Automotive Supplier Academy Series II - Friday, June 28, 2019
- Aerospace & Defense Industry Team
- Aerospace and Defense
- Automotive Industry Team
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Lending
- Corporate and Finance
- Franchise & Distribution
- Franchise Specialty Team
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Non-Compete & Trade Secret
- Supply Chain Management
- Trade Secret & Non-Compete Specialty Team
- United States Naval Academy, B.S.
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2010-2017)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
American Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
Oakland County Bar Association
- October 17, 2019
- September 5, 2019
- August 29, 2019
- Trade Secrets v. Patents: How they are similar, how they are different, and is one better than the other?August 15, 2019
- Trade Secret Theft Makes Strange Bedfellows: Tesla seeks Apple's Assistance in its Pursuit of Trade Secret Theft Claims Against its Former EngineerAugust 6, 2019
- August 2, 2019
- A Call for Federal Overreach? Michigan's Attorney General Joins the Growing Misguided Attack on Non-Compete & No-Poach AgreementsJuly 22, 2019
- June 24, 2019
- May 31, 2019
- Employers and Franchisors Beware: Washington Enacts New Non-Compete Law Aimed at Protecting “Low Wage” Employees While Targeting Employers and Franchisors with PenaltiesMay 30, 2019
- May 9, 2019
- March 28, 2019
- February 27, 2019
- December 5, 2018
- November 14, 2018
- May 2, 2017