Ziyad I. Hermiz
Ziyad I. Hermiz is a shareholder based in Butzel Long's Detroit office. He concentrates his practice in the area of business litigation.
Mr. Hermiz is a graduate of The University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2008), where he was the Executive Editor of the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review and received the Dean's Scholarship for Academic Excellence. He was also inducted into the Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society, honoring graduates with outstanding academic achievement. He completed his undergraduate business studies at Michigan State University (B.A., with honors, 2004) where he was the recipient of the Phillip and Viola May Scholarship. While in college, Mr. Hermiz co-founded a successful internet retail company.
Prior to joining Butzel Long, Mr. Hermiz interned for the Honorable Judge Avern Cohn for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (2007-2008). His publications include "A Prescription for Trouble: A Look at Why Michigan Can't Afford to Pierce the Pharmaceutical Veil" published in Volume 85 of University of Detroit Mercy Law Review.
Mr. Hermiz is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and the American Bar Association and serves as Vice President of the Chaldean American Bar Association. He is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mr. Hermiz was named a Michigan Super Lawyer Rising Star (Business Litigation) 2012-2013.
Representative cases include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Fifth Third Bank v. Desert in Alaska Corp., et. al. (Wayne County Circuit Court, Case No. 11-005520-CK)(represented Bank in action for breach of loan agreement and piercing the corporate veil).
- Dura Automotive Systems, Inc., et al. v Denzil Abney, et al. (Oakland County Circuit Court, Case No. 08-096013-CK)(represented Plaintiff in multi-million dollar action against former employees in trade secret theft action).
- Dura Global Technologies, Inc., et al. v. Magna Donnelly Corporation (E.D. Mich. 07-cv-10945. Cox, J.)(represented Plaintiff in multi-million dollar action patent infringement, trade secret theft and unfair competition action).
- Ordos City Hawtai Autobody Company, Ltd., et al. v. Dimond Rigging Company, LLC (E.D. Mich. 13-cv-14909. Cox, J.)(obtained preliminary injunction, order for possession of equipment pending final judgment, and trial verdict and final judgment in the amount of $1.2 million in breach of contract action).
- L.A. Insurance Agency Franchising, LLC, v. Claudia Montes, et al. (E.D. Mich. 14-cv-14432)(obtained permanent injunction against former franchisee in breach of franchise agreement and unlawful competition action).
- Represent corporate investors, including a Panamanian bank, sued by the foreign representatives overseeing the liquidation of one of the main feeder funds to the Ponzi scheme associated with Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, LLC.
- Edrich Products, Inc. v. Extended Enterprise Group, et al. (Oakland County Circuit Court, Case No. 13-135025-CK)(obtained $2.4 million judgment in action for breach of consulting agreement, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference and civil conspiracy).
- Perry T. Christy v. Bridgestone Retail Operations, LLC, d/b/a Firestone Complete Auto Care (Wayne County Circuit Court, Case No. 14-014321-AV) (obtained dismissal of claim alleging violation of Motor Vehicle Service and Repair Act and conversion; affirmed on appeal).
- Thomas Halama v. Firestone Complete Auto Care (24th District Court, Case No. 15-44482) (obtained dismissal of claim alleging violation of Michigan Consumer Protection Act).
- Saginaw Prop., LLC v. Value City Dep’t Stores, LLC, and Retail Ventures Inc. (Case No. 08-13782-BC, 2009 WL 3536616 (E.D. Mich. Oct. 30, 2009)) (obtained summary judgment and dismissal of action against defendant department store holding company for alleged successor liability).
- Allstate Insurance Company, et al, v. Silver Pine Imaging, LLC (E.D. Mich. 14-cv-10356. Hood, J.)(represented medical provider in action related to reasonableness of charges pursuant to the Michigan No-Fault Act).
- Allstate Insurance Company, et al, v. Universal Health Group, Inc., et al. (E.D. Mich. 13-cv-15108. Parker, J.) and State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company v. Universal Health Group, Inc. et al (14-cv-10266. Levy, J.) (represented medical providers and Doctors in alleged civil Rico and fraud action).
- American Petroleum Institute v. U.S. Energy Resources, LLC, et al. (E.D. Mich. 11-cv-14869. Friedman, J.)(represented a distributor and marketer of engine oils against a multi-million dollar trademark lawsuit brought by a prominent petroleum and natural gas industry trade association; successfully negotiated dismissal of client from lawsuit).
- The Boyd Group (U.S.) Inc., et al. v. Richard Gagliano, et al. (Macomb County Circuit Court, Case No. 16-502-CB)(represented Plaintiff in action for breach of noncompete agreement).
- Etter Amalgamated, Inc v. Bearclaw Coffee Company, et al. (Washtenaw County Circuit Court, Case No. 15-201-CK) (obtained consent judgment against Defendants in breach of loan agreement action).
- Superior Electric Company of Greater Detroit, Inc. v. Aaron Melitz, et al. (Oakland County Circuit Court, Case No. 14-143896-CK)(represented defendant in action by former employer for alleged breach of noncompete).
- Lori F. McCarthy v. AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company, et al. (Oakland County Circuit Court, Case No.: 13-137100-CZ) (obtained preliminary injunction enjoining Defendant from transferring IRA funds).
- Gunnell, Inc. v. Chenica, Inc. (Tuscola County Circuit Court, Case No. 11-26612-CK)(represented defendant and counter-plaintiff in breach of contract and misrepresentation action related to sale of wheelchair company).
- Susan P. Davis v. JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. (E.D. Mich. 13-cv-10578. Cox, J)(represented plaintiff in action to quiet title).
- Timothy Runion v. Lotus Cars USA, Inc. (Ohio Common Pleas Court, Case No. 16-CV-003435)(represented sports car manufacturer in action by buyer for alleged lemon law violations).
- Australia Mining Export v. Midwest Engine Inc. (Genesee County Circuit Court, Case No. 13-101252-CK) (represented Australian engine distributor in action for breach of contract and unjust enrichment).
- Citizens Bank v. Seven Harbors, et al. (Oakland County Circuit Court, Case No. 12-126941-CK) (represented bank in action for breach of loan agreement; obtained summary judgment in amount of $680,928.37).
- Citizens Bank v. Tamark Properties, et al. (Jackson County Circuit Court, Case No. 11-003436-CK) (represented bank in action for breach of loan agreement; obtained Receiver over property and summary judgment in amount of $433,639.13).
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Law School 2008, J.D.
- Michigan State University Undergraduate 2004, B.A.
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star Business Litigation, 2012-2016
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law - Executive Editor of the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review Dean's Scholarship for Academic Excellence Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society
Michigan State University - Recipient of Phillip and Viola May Scholarship
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
State Bar of Michigan
American Bar Association
Chaldean American Bar Association - Vice President
- Prevailed on Motion for Summary Disposition on behalf of our client, an anchor tenant in a shopping center, and against the landlord who claimed wrongful termination of the lease
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long Names Two New Shareholders
- Legal tools, tips and advice for growing companies are focus of Butzel Long’s Detroit Business Symposium
- Fifty-Five Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Super Lawyers 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys Ziyad I. Hermiz and Danielle J. Hessell honored during Legal Aid and Defender Pro Bono Awards Ceremony
- Butzel Long attorney Ziyad I. Hermiz elected Vice President of the Chaldean American Bar Association
- Butzel Long receives Pro Bono Service Award from Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Butzel attorney Ziyad Hermiz to serve on Chaldean American Bar Association board
- Butzel Long attorney Ziyad I. Hermiz elected to Board of Directors for the Chaldean American Bar Association