William B. Slowey
William B. Slowey joined Butzel Long in 2007 after serving thirty-five years in various positions at General Motors (GM) Corporation, including the last eighteen as Corporate Antitrust Counsel. His legal work is extensive and spans a variety of industries, including defense, locomotive, electronic, communication, earth-moving equipment, heavy-duty transmission, heavy-duty bus and truck, as well as automotive parts and vehicles.
While at General Motors, Mr. Slowey was a highly successful antitrust attorney, top-tier executive and trusted advisor and counselor to top management. Mr. Slowey directed and led legal teams to win crucial court decisions, and advised corporate officers, board members, and other senior management and employees on matters related to antitrust, competition and free trade. He also conducted and supervised antitrust and related litigation, reviewed domestic and foreign joint venture proposals, and took to trial and argued antitrust cases, as necessary.
Mr. Slowey successfully represented GM in federal and state inquiries with regard to non-public investigations of certain marketing methods, which could impact retail transaction prices. He also initiated, redesigned, and co-authored an innovative Antitrust Compliance Manual, for use by managers throughout GM. Mr. Slowey also served as Assistant General Counsel of Marketing and Trade Regulation where he was responsible for antitrust matters brought by the U.S. Department of Justice and the FTC, private litigation and antitrust aspects of acquisition and divestitures.
Mr. Slowey also held key roles such as Attorney-In-Charge, Commercial Transactions; Attorney-In-Charge, Anti-Trust Litigation; and Attorney-In-Charge, Patent and Overseas Antitrust. He has extensive experience in working with commercial transactions in which he was responsible for legal relations with vendors, legal aspects of negotiating purchase and requirement agreements, sale of assets, formation of some joint ventures, and bankruptcy matters.
Mr. Slowey served the United States Department of Justice as a Trial Attorney in the Antitrust Division from 1968-1971.
- Fordham University School of Law Law School 1967, J.D.
- St. Peter's College Undergraduate 1964, A.B.
The Best Lawyers in America, Antitrust Law, 2013-2017
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Antitrust Law, 2011-2012, 2015-2017
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Washington D.C. Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York
American Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan
- Represented a major international cement and concrete corporation accused by private litigants of participating in a several hundred million dollar antitrust price-fixing conspiracy.
- Represented a private equity investor in the lengthy and complicated effort to purchase all of Ford Motor Company's glass manufacturing operations in North America
- $75 million acquisition of US and non-US assets; complex deal involved acquisition of stock and assets located in North America, Europe, Asia and South America
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Butzel Long Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- 68 Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2012
- Sixty-four Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2011