Thomas R. McAskin
Thomas R. McAskin is Counsel to Butzel Long practicing health care law in the firm's Bloomfield Hills office. He graduated from University of Detroit School of Law (J.D., 1973) and Western Michigan University (B.A., 1969).
Prior to joining Butzel Long, Mr. McAskin served as the Director of the Office of Legal Affairs, Vice President and Chief Legal Officer, and also served on the Executive Committee for William Beaumont Hospital.
While at William Beaumont Hospital, Mr. McAskin was responsible for managing the Office of Legal Affairs. He was directly responsible for all legal matters affecting the hospital, its subsidiaries and divisions (owned and affiliated hospitals, clinics, research, nursing homes, apartments, medical office buildings, durable medical equipment, home health care and others) including the retention and monitoring of outside counsel; the initiation or defense of all litigation; recommendations on procedural and operational issues pertaining to legal matters; recommendations on acceptance or rejection of settlement offers; and, participation in the development and approval of all contracts, agreements, loans, leases, and other binding instruments. In addition to day-to-day management duties, his responsibilities included the coordination of all litigation, medical staff issues (multiple committee appointments), personnel matters, and real estate and general corporate law.
Mr. McAskin is a member of the American Bar Association; the State Bar of Michigan (past Chairperson and current member of the Health Care Section); Oakland County Bar Association (Judicial Advisory Committee); and, the American Health Lawyers Association. He is also a Past Board Member of Presbyterian Villages of Michigan and a current Board Member for several local non-profit corporations.
- University of Detroit School of Law Law School 1973, J.D.
- Western Michigan University Graduate 1969, B.A.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Health Care Law, 2012
American Bar Association
State Bar of Michigan - past Chairperson and current member of the Health Care Section
Oakland County Bar Association - Judicial Advisory Committee
American Health Lawyers Association
Presbyterian Villages of Michigan - Past Board Member
- CMS Moratorium Ices Home Health Agencies and Ambulance Companies in HEAT Locations
- Health Care - Michigan Senate Passes Medicaid Expansion
- Health Care - HIPAA Mega Rule Action Plan
- Health Care - New Michigan Laws Cover Telemedicine Technologies in Health Care Professional/Patient Care: “The Doctor will see you now.”
- Health Care - Supreme Court Rules Obama's Health Care Reform Act Constitutional
- Health Care - Medicare and Medicaid NPI: Changes in Provider and Supplier Enrollment, Ordering and Referring, and Documentation
- Health Care - Steps Toward Health Reform in 2012