Susan H. Patton
Susan H. Patton is Counsel to Butzel Long practicing health care law in the firm's Ann Arbor office. She graduated from Wayne State University School of Law (J.D., 1979), Wayne State University (M.A. 1976) and the University of Michigan (B.G.S. 1973). Ms. Patton has over 30 years experience representing the full spectrum of health industry clients in 12 states and 6 countries.
Clients include government, private, for profit and nonprofit provider and payor sectors within the health care industry, including Catholic hospitals and health systems, physician groups, nursing facilities, DME, ASC, home health providers, ACOs and managed care organizations, GPOs, TPAs, hospices, IDTFs, billing companies, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers and distributors, consulting and health professional staffing agencies, HIT/EMR vendors, accrediting bodies, trade associations including the Michigan Health and Hospital Association, FQHCs and others. Ms. Patton has both a strong background in reimbursement payment and compliance issues as well as transactional experience which enables her to identify legal options relevant to achieving strategic goals and taking projects from concept design to implementation within time and budget constraints. She has extensive experience with Medicare, Medicaid, BCBS and other payors and in working successfully with state and federal regulatory agencies.
- University of Michigan Undergraduate 1973, B.G.S.
- Wayne State University Graduate 1979, M.A.
- Wayne State University Law School Law School 1979, J.D.
State Bar of Michigan - former Chair, Health Care Law Committee
State Bar of Michigan - Business Law Section Nonprofit Corporation Subcommittee
American Health Lawyers Association
Michigan Society of Health Care Lawyers - former Board of Directors member
- Worked with pharmaceutical and device manufacturers and distributors on numerous matters involving regulatory agencies and compliance, entrance into new markets, pricing strategies and other regulated topics
- Developed and drafted state of the art educational materials and documents related to web commerce, telemedicine, and “I” health commerce and educated management through in-person, teleconferencing, web enhanced and video conferencing presentations
- Initiated and conducted the inventory and management of several billion dollars of owned and leased real estate and worked with Canon lawyers, Congregations, Bishops and Vatican City in transferring canonical responsibility for stable patrimony
- Former senior member of 27 lawyer in-house counsel department for major national health system practicing in the areas of corporate, real estate, regulatory, intellectual property, international, health care finance and delivery systems, and contracts
- Developed numerous hospital physician alignment structures, including 37 relationship models that were recognized by the Trinity Health corporate board as achieving key strategic planning objectives and complying with Stark, Anti-Kickback Statute
- Worked with municipal law specialists in the privatization of numerous Michigan municipal hospitals and in the creation of a new 3-party health care payment initiative called Healthy Choice for low-income individuals in Wayne County, Michigan
- Represented large managed care company in the development and implementation of PPO, TPA and POS product lines
- Worked on health care clients on projects and services in Mexico, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Germany, the Netherlands, the Marshall Islands, Vatican City and the World Bank
- Appealed payor denials for a wide range of provider and supplier categories at redetermination and reconsideration levels of appeals and assisted in preparation of administrative law judge appeals
- Led legal team in the acquisition, divestiture, merger, renovation, replacement, new service line development, supply chain procurement, Cerner EMR development and IT support for all types of health care facilities, providers, suppliers
- Spearheaded ongoing initiative to establish collaborative relationships between metro-Detroit health systems and FQHCs to reduce cost, maximize revenues and increase quality while reducing avoidable ER use
- Advised municipal boards and agencies on matters pertaining to state and federal Medicare funding, waivers, contract negotiations and reconciliations
- Significant participant in initiative to address legislative changes in business corporations act and professional services corporations act with the Michigan Department of Community Health, Michigan Attorney General’s Office, trade associations
- Chaired and lead initiative developing the first corporate and enterprise compliance program for the 3rd largest Catholic health system in the United States
- Worked with management and external auditors from the Internal Revenue Service on a Coordinated Provider Entity audit for 3 years from commencement to conclusion
- Participated with the Michigan Health and Hospital Association and member hospitals in Keystone collaborative focused on improving organization culture using change principles and behavioral science to create and support a “harm free” patient care culture
- Initiated and accomplished numerous client HIPAA/HITECH initiatives and coordinated responses to security breaches
- Represented Michigan Health and Hospital Association in negotiating and drafting the first master participating hospital agreement with BCBSM which is still in use to this day and which has been expanded to form the model for all other provider class
- Represented hospitals, health systems and physician groups in connection with equity and contractual joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations, long term leases and financing
- Butzel Long attorney Susan H. Patton Named Fellow to State Bar Health Care Board
- Butzel Long attorney Susan Patton invited to join Michigan Health & Hospital Association's Business Advisory Council
- Butzel Long attorney Susan Patton featured recently at Michigan Hospital Association's Winter Leadership Conference
- WannaCry Impacts and Lessons are Global
- UK High Court: Brexit On Hold Until Parliament Decides
- Brexit: Legal and Business Implications
- ACA Non-Discrimination Protections - Employers: Immediate Action Required by July 18
- ACA Non-Discrimination Protections - Health Care Providers: Immediate Action Required by July 18
- Patient Portals: Open Doors or Trap Doors?
- Communicating with Patients Under HIPAA and the TCPA: The Good, the Bad and the "Do-Not-Call"
- Medicare Physician Reimbursement Changed by Medicare Access and CHIP Authorization Act
- CMS Moratorium Ices Home Health Agencies and Ambulance Companies in HEAT Locations
- Health Care - Michigan Senate Passes Medicaid Expansion
- Health Care - HIPAA Mega Rule Action Plan
- Health Care - New Michigan Laws Cover Telemedicine Technologies in Health Care Professional/Patient Care: “The Doctor will see you now.”
- Health Care - Supreme Court Rules Obama's Health Care Reform Act Constitutional
- Health Care - Medicare and Medicaid NPI: Changes in Provider and Supplier Enrollment, Ordering and Referring, and Documentation
- Health Care - Steps Toward Health Reform in 2012
- E-news: Health Care Law - April 29, 2010
- Automation Alley Newsletter - April 2010
- E-news: Butzel Long E-news - 03/26/2010
- E-news: Employee Benefits
- Automation Alley Newsletter - October 2009
- E-news: Health Care Law - 09/10/09
- Automation Alley Newsletter - July 2009
- E-news: Health Care Law - 06/10/09
- Automation Alley Newsletter - June 2009
- E-news: Butzel Long E-news - 03/11/2009