Robert A. Hudson
Robert A. Hudson is Counsel to Butzel Long, practicing in the firm's Bloomfield Hills office. He is a graduate of Wayne State University (B.A. with Distinction, 1969; J.D., cum laude, 1972), and was on the editorial board of the Wayne Law Review.
Mr. Hudson represents domestic and foreign public and private companies and high-technology companies in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and general business matters. He has extensive experience in securities matters including numerous public and private equity and debt offerings, venture capital finance, compliance, reporting requirements, going private transactions, investment management, and corporate governance matters. He regularly assists foreign-based companies in connection with U.S. and cross-border transactions, joint ventures, distribution and sale arrangements and trade matters. His industry expertise includes manufacturing, high-technology including software, Internet and computer services, financial services, automotive and real estate investment trusts.
Mr. Hudson served as general counsel for a NASDAQ listed company, handling a wide variety of the company's general corporate and regulatory issues. He is a former Chair of the firm’s Corporate Department. He has also appeared before the United States Supreme Court, the Securities and Exchange Commission and numerous other courts and agencies.
Mr. Hudson's professional memberships include the ABA's Committees on Federal Regulation of Securities, State Regulation of Securities and International Business Law, former Council Member of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, and former Chairman of the Securities and Commodities Law Committee of the Metropolitan Detroit Bar Association. His business and community memberships include President Emeritus and Board member of the Michigan Chapter of the French-American Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Business Law Advisory Board of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Mr. Hudson is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, in Michigan Super Lawyers (Securities and Corporate Finance Law, Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit by DBusiness magazine and is an AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell.
Languages: English, French
- Fund Formation
- Private Equity
- Emerging Technology
- Securities Fraud
- Financial Services
- Business Partnerships, Joint Ventures, and LLCs
- Corporate Governance
- International Business
- Regulatory Compliance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate and Finance
- Europe International Team
- Technology and E-Discovery Specialty Team
- Wayne State University Law School Law School 1972, J.D.
- Wayne State University Undergraduate 1969, B.A.
Best Lawyers' 2014, 2016 Detroit International Trade and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year"
The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law; International Trade and Finance Law, 1997-2018
Michigan Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate Law, 2006-2016
Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition - International Law
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent
Mr. Hudson has been included in The BTI Consulting Group's coveted Client Services All Star Team. This honor is bestowed upon individual attorneys who deliver outstanding client service according to corporate counsel interviewed at Fortune 1000 companies.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Corporate Law, 2012-2016 Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2012-2014 Business Law Information Technology Law International Trade and Finance Law Securities Law, 2012-2013, 2016-2017
American Bar Association - Committees on Federal Regulation of Securities, State Regulation of Securities and International Business Law
State Bar of Michigan - former Council Member of the Business Law Section
Metropolitan Detroit Bar Association - former Chairman of the Securities and Commodities Law Committee
Michigan Chapter of the French-American Chamber of Commerce - President Emeritus and Board member
Institute of Continuing Legal Education - Business Law Advisory Board
- Represented software company in private placement of common stock
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in disposition of two health care subsidiaries. Issues included structuring for tax and regulatory considerations, state licensing transfer requirements and filings.
- Organized private equity and venture capital funds
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for public debt offering for a financial services firm.
- Securitization of mortgage pool for major financial company
- Acted as counsel in international acquisition of software company. The transaction included multi-jurisdictional asset transfers, export controls issues and special licensing and development agreements.
- Assisted venture capital firm with Series A Preferred Stock investment in new start-up company together with organizational work
- Asset acquisition for major international manufacturer
- Organized hedge funds including hedge fund of funds
- Restructuring of European companies and their subsidiaries in numerous countries to achieve optional organizational benefits
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for the initial public offering of software company.
- Represented a private equity investor in the lengthy and complicated effort to purchase all of Ford Motor Company's glass manufacturing operations in North America
- Representation of public company in connection with SEC investigation.
- Venture capital financing for a home health care services corporation.
- Counsel for public companies in manufacturing, bio-medical, technology and real estate industries in going private transactions including all filings with SEC.
- Represented real estate limited partnership in private equity offering
- Representation of investment adviser for formation of hedge fund of funds.
- Preparation of numerous dividend reinvestment and share repurchase plans for public companies including all required filings with SEC.
- Assisted Lakeshore Engineering Services Inc. in their acquisition of Toltest Inc., creating Lakeshore Toltest Corp., one of the largest federal and municipal contracting companies in the Midwest.
- Private equity offering
- Assisted with purchase and sale of investment advisory businesses
- Private placement of real estate fund LLC interests.
- Renewal and expansion of loan to related entity for major mortgage company
- Represented real estate development in private placement of LLC interests
- Successfully negotiated dispute with large shareholder including redemption of shares and related tax and financing issues
- Successfully closed a complex, $50 million private equity financing including a reincorporation merger and a myriad of difficult pre-closing transactions
- Representation of engineering services client in acquisition of other engineering services company structured share exchange.
- Acted as interim general counsel for publicly-held technology company and supervised company’s adoption of Sarbanes-Oxley compliance procedures and insider trading policy.
- Argued case under the Commodity Exchange Act (CEA) before the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of commodity customer with resulting favorable opinion ruling that implied right of action exists under the CEA.
- Assisted numerous clients with international transactions involving environmental due diligence and permitting throughout South America, Asia and Europe.
- Securitization of mortgage loan pool
- Representation of technology company in Series A and Series B venture capital financings, including due diligence, bridge financing, investor documentation, employment agreements, etc.
- Registered equity offering for publicly traded real estate trust
- Represented manufacturer and supplier to defense industry in sale of stock
- Representation of company for purchase of telecommunications business in over 25 countries.
- Representation of broker-dealer firm in SEC receivership proceedings under SIPC resulting from net capital violations.
- Acted as counsel for issuers and for participating broker-dealer firms in many private securities offerings pursuant to SEC Regulation D, Regulation S and various state exemptions.
- Asset acquisition for publicly traded foreign-based corporation
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for initial public offering and follow on offering for real estate investment trust.
- Assisted with preparation of investment management agreements, solicitor agreements and other agreements relating to investment advisory business
- Representation of health services company in reverse merger with a public company as means of going public.
- Registration of federal only and state investment advisers including assistance with FINRA and state filings, preparation of compliance manuals, privacy policies and compliance procedures
- Private equity offering
- Represented software development company in sales of shares
- Represented recruiting company in private placement of preferred stock
- Provided regulatory advice for fee structures, advertising activities and other operations matters
- Representation of French company in acquisition of troubled assets of automotive supplier with U.S. and Canadian operations.
- Representation of French company in joint venture with Japanese company including negotiations and preparation of joint venture agreement, structuring joint venture capital contributions and addressing governance issues.
- Organization of hedge funds and private placement of hedge fund LLC interests.
- Sale of assets
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Fifty-Five Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Five Butzel Long attorneys named Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” 2014 in key practice areas
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2013
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Super Lawyers 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- 68 Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys Robert A. Hudson and Robert H. Schwartz are contributors to ICLE’s Michigan Business Formbook
- Sixty-four Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2011
- Forty-two Butzel Long attorneys named to the 2010 Michigan Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorney is president of French-American Chamber of Commerce Michigan Chapter
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2011
- Forty-Nine Butzel Long attorneys named to Super Lawyers 2009 listing
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2010: Forty-nine attorneys recognized in national listing
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2009
- Butzel Long attorney Robert A. Hudson featured at MACPA 2007 Personal Financial Planning Conference on November 13
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2008
- Robert A. Hudson co-authors treatise on Initial Public Offerings
- Pransky v. Falcon Group, Inc.: Should “Finders” take solace?
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Final Dodd-Frank Definition of Accredited Investor
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Approves Form PF for Reporting by Private Fund Advisers
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Inflation Adjusted Definition of “Qualified Client” Under The Investment Advisers Act
- Client Alert - Investment Management - SEC Adopts Significant Implementing Rules For Investment Advisers Under Dodd-Frank Act
- E-news: Investment Management
- E-news: Investment Management
- E-news: Investment Management
- Automation Alley Newsletter - SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reforms
- E-news: Investment Management E-news - 02/08/2010
- Automation Alley Newsletter - September 2009
- E-news: Investment Management - 08/11/09
- E-news: Investment Management - 08/07/09
- E-news: Investment Management - February 20, 2009
- Article: Automation Alley's 2008 Technology Industry Report
- E-news: Investment Management - August 1, 2008
- E-news: Investment Management - July 23, 2008
- E-news: Investment Management - July 21, 2008
- Alert: Investment Management - February 2008
- Alert: Investment Management - January 2008
- Alert: Investment Management - August 2007
- Alert: Investment Adviser - June 2006