Rebecca S. Davies
Rebecca S. Davies is a shareholder based in Butzel Long's Detroit office. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan at Dearborn and her juris doctorate, magna cum laude, from the Detroit College of Law in 1995. She also completed the masters program at Wayne State University Law School by obtaining a L.L.M., with a GPA of 3.79, in Labor and Employment Law.
Ms. Davies concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of employment law and commercial litigation. She represents employers in federal and state court litigation and before state and federal administrative agencies.
Ms. Davies has represented employers in both the private and public sectors for almost twenty years. She has represented companies with 2 to 20,000 employees. In the public sector, Ms. Davies has represented numerous municipalities, libraries, counties and government authorities.
Ms. Davies has had repeated success both in and out of the court room. In federal court, she has received no cause verdicts in the defense of employment and commercial jury trials. In state court, she has obtained numerous dismissals and favorable settlements in a wide range of employment disputes, including harassment, wrongful termination, employment discrimination and wage claims. She also has repeatedly obtained dismissals of charges before federal and state administrative agencies. Her greatest successes, however, may be her efforts to prevent litigation. She has regularly counseled employers regarding compliance under federal and state employment laws (including FLSA, FMLA, ADA and Title VII), drafted employment policies, and advised on preventative strategies.
Ms. Davies is a frequent author and lecturer, not only for client in-house trainings and publications, but also outside organizations, such as Walsh College, the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, Automation Alley and American Society of Employers. She is an adjunct faculty member at Walsh College where she teaches the PHR/SPHR certification courses as well as general business law courses. Also at Walsh College, Ms. Davies facilitates monthly affinity groups for human resource professionals at both the Troy and Novi campuses.
Ms. Davies is also active in national and local legal associations and regularly volunteers in her community. She serves on the Board of North American Transportation Employee Relations Association ("NATERA"), is a member of the Wage and Hour Defense Institute of the Litigation Counsel of America, and has previously served as the Chair for the Labor and Employment Section for the Oakland County Bar Association. She was a Girl Scout leader for 6 years and is currently an assistant coach for the middle school fast pitch team and an active school volunteer.
- "The Most Often and Repeated Labor and Employment Mistakes Employers Make", Flint and Genesee County Chamber of Commerce, January 20, 2016
- "Employment Law Update", Native Human Resources Network Meeting, Odawa Casino Hotel, October 7, 2015
- “Employee or Independent Contract? Worker Misclassification Issues”, Michigan Association of CPAs - East Metro Group, Grosse Pointe Yacht Club, September 30, 2015
- Co-Presenter of "Handling Your Toughest Leave Management & Accommodation Challenges under the ADAAA and Pregnancy Discrimination Act", 29th Annual North American Transportation Employee Relations Association Conference, New Orleans, September 20-22, 2015
- "Employment Law Update", Native Human Resources Network Meeting, Soaring Eagle Hotel and Casino, May 7, 2015
- "Hiring and Law 101", A Career and Business Services Learning Networks Joint Meeting, Oakland Community College, March 4, 2014
- American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law: Outreach to Law Students Law School Panel, Organizer and Speaker, October 22, 2013
- "How to Squeeze Every Ounce of Knowledge Out of Your Advisors", Professionals Panel, Entrepreneur - You 2013 Conference, February 2013
- "Wage & Hour Compliance: Avoid Being Named as the Next Defendant", Blue Water Human Resources Association, January 2013
- "Business Law Basics", Walsh Business 360, Walsh Institute, January 2012
- "PHR Exam Preparation", Walsh Institute/Society for Human Resource Management, 2012
- University of Michigan Undergraduate 1991, B.S.A.
- Detroit College of Law Law School 1995, J.D.
- Wayne State University Graduate 2010, LL.M.
Corp! Magazine Most Valuable Professional, 2016
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Labor and Employment Law, 2016
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Oakland County Bar Association, Sustaining Member - Employment Law Committee, Chair (2009-2010) Employment Law Committee, Vice Chair (2008-2009)
Walsh College Business Leadership Institute, Affinity Group Leader
Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Advisory Council
Wage and Hour Defense Institute, Member
Walsh College, Facilitator for Human Resource Professionals Affinity Group
North American Transportation Employee Relations Association
Transportation Lawyers Association
Girl Scout Leader (2005-present)
Farmington Area Jaycees, Board member and Legal Counsel (1998-2002)
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Walsh College’s Eighth Annual Human Resources Summit
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies interviewed by WDET on what the overtime limbo means for SE Michigan
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca Davies quoted in Fast Company article on workplace trends
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies named a Most Valuable Professional by Corp! Magazine
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Walsh College’s Seventh Annual Human Resources Summit
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Butzel Long attorney featured at two upcoming events in southeast Michigan
- Butzel Long attorney featured at Walsh College’s Entrepreneur-You Conference
- Asked and Answered: Rebecca Davies on Employers and Vaccinations
- Butzel Long hosts 27th Annual Labor, Employment, and Immigration Law Forum November 7, 2014 in Dearborn
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorney to moderate panel during NATERA Employee Relations Conference in November in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Butzel Long attorney recently conducted supervisor training sessions for The Library Network
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during Fourth Annual Walsh Institute HR Summit on March 7, 2013
- Butzel Long is hosting an ABA Woman Advocate Committee Regional Networking Gathering on November 13 at its Bloomfield Hills office
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies will be featured during panel presentation at NATERA’s 26th Annual Conference October 21-23, 2012
- Butzel Long is the Michigan host for the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 25
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies to discuss EEOC’s recommend best practices, individualized assessments and the ‘Green Factors’ during July 12, 2012 program at Walsh College
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies to moderate panel presentation during EEOC June 12, 2012 seminar in Detroit
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during 3rd Annual Walsh Institute HR Summit on March 8, 2012
- Butzel Long attorney Rebecca S. Davies featured during the North American Transportation Employee Relations Association 25th Annual Conference October 23-25, 2011 in St. Petersburg
- Butzel Long adds two employment law attorneys to the firm
- Even Better Than a Black Friday Sale: Federal Court Blocks DOL Overtime Rule
- A Tale of Two Decisions: Is a Tribal Entity Subject to the NLRA?
- EEOC Issues Proposed Guidance as to Wellness Plan Incentives
- Are Accommodation Rights for Pregnant Employees Expanding?
- Labor and Employment - State-by-State Wage and Hour Law Summary
- Health Care - Steps Toward Health Reform in 2012
- Automation Alley Newsletter - Are Your Independent Contractors Misclassified? IRS Offers Employers a “Fresh Start” to Reclassify Workers
- Client Alert - Are Your Independent Contractors Misclassified? IRS Offers Employers a “Fresh Start” to Reclassify Workers
- Client Alert - Labor and Employment - State-by-State Wage and Hour Law Summary
- Automation Alley Newsletter - Time to Review your Employment Agreements: “Expired” is not the same as “Terminated” when it comes to enforcing restrictive covenants
- Client Alert - Trade Secret and Non-Compete - Time to Review your Employment Agreements: “Expired” is not the same as “Terminated” when it comes to enforcing restrictive covenants