Mark W. Jane
Mark W. Jane is a senior attorney based in Butzel Long’s Ann Arbor office. Mr. Jane practices in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation, with a focus on complex issues arising from the sponsorship of group health and welfare plans.
Mark has worked with employers of all shapes and sizes, providing incisive counsel regarding the tax and employment implications on the design and ongoing maintenance of a wide array of employee benefit plans, including comprehensive health and welfare plans, cafeteria plans, defined benefit plans, 401(k) and 403(b) defined contribution plans, 457(b) tax-exempt plans, non-qualified deferred compensation plans for executives, severance plans, and multi-employer fringe benefit plans. He has experience representing clients with respect to their benefit plans before various governmental agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
Mr. Jane has represented employers and administrators regarding their benefit plans across a broad spectrum of industries, including automotive, retail, manufacturing, health care, municipal, tribal, and non-profit. He assists such clients with a multitude of general employee benefit matters, including:
- Drafting and reviewing required plan documents, notices, and summaries;
- Providing consultation regarding fiduciary duties inherent in managing ERISA-governed plans or plans subject to state fiduciary or third-party administration law;
- Walking welfare plan administrators through various HIPAA portability, COBRA, and ACA dilemmas in order to find workable solutions, for example:
- HIPAA portability: preparing special enrollment notices and instructing plan administrators on rules for proper notice distribution;
- COBRA: consulting with small businesses over group health plan continuation coverage responsibilities and potential exemptions; and
- ACA: advising large employers on proper methods of counting full-time employees to assess employer shared responsibility compliance;
- Correcting plan errors for tax and fiduciary compliance; and
- Analyzing service provider contracts.
Mr. Jane is actively involved at the local bar association level. He currently sits on the Board of Directors of the Washtenaw County Bar Association, serving as its Vice President. Mark previously served as a Co-Chair of the New Lawyers Section of the Washtenaw County Bar Association, to which he received the 2010 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award in recognition for his service.
Mark is also a frequent participant with the State Bar of Michigan. He was a long-time member of the State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section Council (including serving as Chair during the 2015-2016 bar year) and also served a three year term on the State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners from 2014-2017. Mark currently serves on the State Bar of Michigan Social Media and Website Committee and will serve as a representative of Washtenaw County (22nd Circuit) on the State Bar of Michigan Representative Assembly.
Mark attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree with high distinction. He also attended Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he received a Juris Doctor, cum laude. Mr. Jane has been named an “Associate to Watch” by Chambers USA from 2016-2018 and a “Rising Star” by Michigan Super Lawyers for the years 2009-2013 and 2015-2017.
- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star - Employee Benefits, 2009-2013, 2015-2017
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Associate to Watch, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation 2016-2018
New Lawyers Section of the Washtenaw County Bar Association 2010 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award.
- Washtenaw County Bar Association – Board of Directors
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Chambers USA 2018
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Chambers USA 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long’s Immigration Department is the only Michigan law firm recognized in Immigration ranking by Chambers USA 2016
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Chambers USA 2016
- Webinar to offer HIPAA Update
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Stevenson Keppelman Associates joins Butzel Long
- Companies which Sponsor Employee Disability Benefit Plans May Need to Take Immediate Action to Comply with New Regulations
- Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangements
- Open Enrollment Season Is Here – Are You Prepared?
- Compliance Efforts in 2016
- Open Enrollment Season is Here – Are You Prepared?