Mark W. Jane
Mark W. Jane is a senior attorney based in Butzel Long’s Ann Arbor office. Mr. Jane practices in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation, with a focus on complex issues arising from the employer sponsorship of group health and welfare plans.
Mark has worked with employers of all shapes and sizes, providing incisive counsel regarding the design and ongoing maintenance of a wide array of employee benefit plans, including comprehensive health and welfare plans, cafeteria plans, 401(a) defined benefit plans, 401(k) and 403(b) defined contribution plans, 457(b) tax-exempt plans, non-qualified deferred compensation plans for executives, severance plans, and multi-employer fringe benefit plans. He has represented employers regarding their benefit plans from a broad spectrum of industries, including automotive, retail, manufacturing, health care, municipal, tribal, and non-profit.
Mr. Jane assists such clients over a multitude of general employee benefit matters, including:
- Drafting and reviewing required plan documents, notices, and summaries;
- Providing consultation regarding fiduciary duties inherent in managing ERISA-governed plans or plans subject to state fiduciary or third-party administration law;
- Correcting plan errors for tax and fiduciary compliance; and
- Analyzing service provider contracts.
Mark also has experience representing clients before various governmental agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
He also walks welfare plan administrators through various HIPAA portability, COBRA, and ACA dilemmas in order to find workable solutions, for example:
- HIPAA portability: preparing special enrollment notices and instructing plan administrators on rules for proper notice distribution;
- COBRA: consulting with small businesses over group health plan continuation coverage responsibilities and potential exemptions; and
- ACA: advising large employers on proper methods of counting full-time employees to assess employer shared responsibility compliance.
Mr. Jane currently sits on the Board of Directors of the Washtenaw County Bar Association, serving as its Treasurer. Mark also serves as the Ex Officio of the State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section (following his tenure as Chair during the 2015-2016 bar year) and currently sits on the State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners. He has previously served as a Co-Chair of the New Lawyers Section of the Washtenaw County Bar Association, to which he received the 2010 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award in recognition for his service. Mr. Jane has also been named an “Associate to Watch” by Chambers USA in 2016 and a “Rising Star” by Michigan Super Lawyers for the years 2009-2012 and 2015-2016.
Mark attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree with high distinction. He also attended Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he received a Juris Doctor, cum laude.
- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009-2013, 2015-2016
Chambers USA - Associate to Watch 2016
New Lawyers Section of the Washtenaw County Bar Association 2010 Outstanding Young Lawyer Award.
- Washtenaw County Bar Association – Board of Directors
- State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section Executive Council – Officer
- State Bar of Michigan – Board of Commissioners
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Chambers USA 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long’s Immigration Department is the only Michigan law firm recognized in Immigration ranking by Chambers USA 2016
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Chambers USA 2016
- Webinar to offer HIPAA Update
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Stevenson Keppelman Associates joins Butzel Long