Geoffrey S. Gallinger
Geoffrey S. Gallinger is a shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Bloomfield Hills office. He graduated from Michigan State University (DCL) College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1987) and Michigan State University (B.A., Business Administration/Pre-Law, 1984).
Mr. Gallinger's practice includes counseling clients regarding general business and corporate planning needs, including all forms of real estate transactions and developments, acquisitions, leasing, financing and condominiums. He also has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and joint ventures, shareholder matters and general business transactions. His areas of specialty are corporate and business transactions, real estate transactions, development and financing, troubled asset and work-out restructuring and financing.
His representative transactions include the acquisition of McClouth Steel Trenton and Gibraltar plants and property; acquisition of Hotel Pontchartrain; acquisition of Aurora Hospital; acquisition of Kindred Hospital; negotiation and administration of ASC, Incorporated office and industrial plants portfolio sales; financing and restructuring of new plants, property and equipment financing for $30M+ loan Participation; entity structure and stock acquisition of Japanese corporation; negotiation of lease and design/build project for 400K sq ft distribution facility; negotiation of stalking-horse Purchase Agreement for purchase of warehousing and distribution center property in bankruptcy; purchase and development acquisition of Book Tower Building; and $250M financing for multi-state portfolio.
Mr. Gallinger currently serves on the Detroit Athletic Club Board of Directors and served as Corporate Secretary (2015-2016), and serves on numerous DAC committees, including Executive, Strategic Planning (Chair) and Community Outreach (Vice-Chair); Downtown Detroit Partnership Stakeholder's Committee; Board of Directors (and Past Chair) for The Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board; Board of Directors (and Past Chair) of the Denby Children's Home Advisory Board; Board of Directors of the Metropolitan Detroit Harbor Light Advisory Board; Board of Directors of the Booth Legal Aid Clinic; Detroit Economic Club Gold Club Member; Member of Urban Land Institute and Larson Leadership Program.
Mr. Gallinger is a member of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, and Business Law Sections of the American Bar Association and the Real Property Law, Business Law Sections of the State Bar of Michigan. He is a lecturer and author of articles for corporate and trade groups, bar association sections and business and professional seminars regarding real estate, and contract law and employment matters.
- Michigan State University Undergraduate 1984, B.A.
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University Law School 1987, J.D.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Real Estate Law, 2012, 2014
Detroit Athletic Club - Board of Directors – Corporate Secretary
The Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board - Board Member (Past Board Chair 2009-2011
Denby Children's Home – Board Member (Past Board Chair 2005-2009)
Metropolitan Detroit Harbor Light - Advisory Board member
Booth Legal Aid Clinic - Advisory Board member
American Bar Association - Real Property Section, Probate and Trust Law Section, Business Law Section, and Labor and Employment Section
Detroit Urban Land Institute – Member
Detroit Economic Club – Gold Member
ULI/Larson Leadership Program - Class 2014-2015
State Bar of Michigan - Real Property Law Section, Business Law Section
- Created loan/financing structure for capital acquisition and industrial expansion for Canadian and U.S. structure and operations
- Acted as lead counsel in negotiating and structuring large industrial design/build lease, including coordination of all aspects of financing and project oversight
- Developed and negotiated industrial lease for major manufacturers
- Representation of automotive company in loan participation and restructuring; acquisition of Canadian US operations
- Butzel Long attorney Geoffrey S. Gallinger elected an Officer of the Detroit Athletic Club’s Board of Directors
- Butzel Long attorney Geoffrey Gallinger interviewed on Comcast Newsmakers
- Butzel Long attorney elected to the DAC Board of Directors
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Butzel Long sponsorship enables 10 Focus: HOPE students to attend Detroit Economic Club Meeting
- 68 Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2012
- Butzel Long attorney Geoffrey S. Gallinger re-appointed as Board Chair for the Salvation Army Detroit Metropolitan Advisory Board 2010-2011
- Butzel Long attorneys elected Shareholders