Frederick (Rick) A. Berg
Frederick (Rick) A. Berg is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Detroit office. He concentrates his practice on commercial law and commercial litigation.
Mr. Berg represents businesses in an array of complex commercial disputes, arising from equipment and transfer line purchase agreements, supply chain controversies, security agreements, trade secret disputes, and other manufacturing/sale of goods contracts. He also litigates corporate governance issues and complex corporate disputes that involve majority and minority groups in limited liability companies and corporations. Mr. Berg represents media clients in connection with their commercial interests, dispute avoidance, and defamation issues.
In addition to commercial litigation, Mr. Berg has extensive experience drafting and reviewing complex commercial agreements, including purchase orders, supply agreements, equipment purchase agreements, manufacturing and license agreements, manufacturer's representative agreements, special tool and molder's lien issues, and security agreements. His practice has focused on the automobile manufacturing and supply industries, the construction industry, media companies, and numerous small- to medium-sized businesses.
He also counsels clients who deal with bankruptcy or insolvency issues, either as a debtor or as a creditor. Mr. Berg assists with secured creditor workouts, preference claims, fraudulent conveyance claims, recovery of collateral, protection of a client's right to payment from an insolvent customer, and other related disputes.
Mr. Berg is a graduate of the University of Michigan (B.A., 1981, with honors) in Ann Arbor, MI, and of Wayne State University Law School (J.D., 1985, cum laude). He is the recipient of Wayne State University Law School's Donald E. Barris Trial Advocacy Award. He is admitted to the Michigan State Bar, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. He is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the State Bar of Michigan's Debtor/Creditor Rights Committee, and the American Bankruptcy Institute's Secured Creditor and Uniform Commercial Code Committees.
- Wayne State University Law School Law School 1985, J.D.
- University of Michigan Undergraduate 1981, B.A.
Michigan SuperLawyers, 2006
DBusiness Top Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2013; Real Estate Law, 2017; Commercial Litigation, 2013 & 2018; Construction Litigation, 2018
AV Rated Pre-eminent Martindale Hubbell
5 time Federal Bar Association Pro Bono Award
1985 Donald E. Barris Trial Advocacy Award, Wayne State University Law School
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
American Bankruptcy Institute
Debtor/Creditor Section State Bar of Michigan
Salvation Army ARC Advisory Council, 1997-2009
St. Clare Finance Council
Detroit Athletic Club
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2018
- Butzel Long attorney Rick A. Berg named to Michigan Lawyers Weekly’s ‘Leaders in the Law’
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Rick Berg profiled in Crain's Detroit special report
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2013
- Commercial Law and Commercial Litigation attorney Rick Berg joins Butzel Long