Donald B. Miller
Donald B. Miller is a shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Detroit office. He has served on the Firm's Board of Directors and as a litigation Practice Group Manager and Co-Chair of the Firm's Litigation Department. He has practiced law in Michigan with Butzel Long since 1973, following graduation from The University of Michigan, where he obtained both his undergraduate and law degrees (A.B., 1970; J.D., 1973, cum laude). Mr. Miller's practice consists entirely of litigation and is very diverse in terms of substantive areas, being devoted to employment discrimination defense, personal injury and products liability litigation, and commercial litigation.
Mr. Miller's employment practice has included the defense of numerous cases in the civil rights area, including sex, age, race, national origin and religious discrimination cases, sex harassment actions, suits alleging implied contract rights to job security by salaried employees, and non-compete cases. He has represented many employers, including The University of Michigan, American Motors Corporation, DaimlerChrysler Corporation, Host International, The Firestone Tire & Rubber Company, United Insurance Company of America, Ford Motor Company, and McLouth Steel Products Corporation. Included among Mr. Miller's trials in the employment area are the following: Viverito v Ford Motor Company, Shannon v American Motors Corporation, Berkopec v American Motors Corporation, Dodd v American Motors Corporation, Slayton v Host International, and Kolovson v The University of Michigan.
Included within Mr. Miller's products liability experience is thorough familiarity with the Michigan personal-injury asbestos litigation. He has represented such clients as AlliedSignal Inc., now Honeywell, Inc. (refractory products), General Electric Company (turbines and wire and cable products), and other defendants, in thousands of such cases throughout the State of Michigan. Mr. Miller has handled, for the past several years, many cases alleging exposure to mold in buildings, which have elements of construction defect litigation, environmental concerns, and personal injury claims. He has also defended claims arising from exposure to lead-based paint and carbon monoxide.
In addition, Mr. Miller handled a variety and volume of cases for Mobil Oil Corporation, now ExxonMobil Corporation, and Pennzoil Company, including personal injury work, gasoline pricing and supply litigation, and service station dealer and distributor litigation arising under the federal Petroleum Marketing Practices Act. He has also been involved in commercial litigation between automotive suppliers and between automotive suppliers and OEM's.
Mr. Miller is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan (Labor and Employment Law Section, Negligence Section) and the American Bar Association (Section of Labor and Employment Law, Section of Litigation, and the Trial, Tort and Insurance Practice Section).
- University of Michigan Law School Law School 1973, J.D.
- University of Michigan Undergraduate 1970, A.B.
The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management; Labor Law - Management; Litigation - Labor & Employment; Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants; Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2013-2018
Michigan Super Lawyers, Employment Litigation: Defense, 2012-2016
DBusiness Top Lawyers, Labor and Employment Law, 2015 Product Liability, 2016-2017
- Defense of a communications company in sex discrimination trial
- Represented residential builder in a claim for damages
- Defend residential home remodeler in a matter involving child injured by exposure to lead-based paint
- Defended against claim by a Professor against university and his department chair for alleged theft of intellectual property; summary disposition granted in favor of university; affirmed by Michigan Court of Appeals
- Trial of wrongful discharge case involving a social worker at a Michigan university hospital.
- Defended home builder in trial of a mold case, with claims for personal injury.
- Defended employment discrimination action
- Defended the interests of a client in thousands of asbestos personal injury cases
- Defended major University against claim by graduate student that two Professors misappropriated work product.
- Obtained dismissal by summary disposition and summary judgment of asbestos claims
- Defended oil corporation against claim of breach of contract.
- Defended against several claims of injury related to alleged mold exposure.
- Represented client in water rate dispute against major municipality; resulting in $24 million rate reduction.
- Defend manufacturer of hoists and cranes in thousands of asbestos personal injury cases
- Represented oil company in multiple cases brought by service station dealers
- Defended automotive company (OEM) in discrimination case
- Asbestos personal injury cases
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Fifty-Five Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Latest developments in labor, employment and immigration law to be highlighted during November 15 seminar
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Super Lawyers 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- 68 Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2012