Debra A. Geroux
Debra A. Geroux is a Shareholder practicing in the firm's Bloomfield Hills office. She is a graduate of Michigan State University College of Law, f/k/a Detroit College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1995), where she was a member and managing editor of the Law Review. She received her Bachelor of Science from Michigan State University in 1988.
HEALTH CARE PRACTICE
Ms. Geroux's healthcare practice focuses on such areas as health care compliance (i.e., Stark, AKS and HIPAA), state and federal debarment, NPDB-HIPDB issues, fraud and abuse litigation (both criminal and civil), licensing and credentialing, and a host of other health care issues. In November 2012, Ms. Geroux earned her Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) designation from the Compliance Certification Board. Ms. Geroux's representative clients include community mental health authorities, home health agencies, pharmacies, individual practitioners, group practices, ambulatory surgery centers, skilled nursing facilities, hospitals and DMEPOS providers.
Among her more recent publications, in June 2013, Ms. Geroux authored an article in the MICHIGAN MEDICAL LAW REPORT, entitled Mandatory health care compliance programs—Are you ready? In addition, in 2012, Ms. Geroux co-authored a Healthcare Licensing Manual for the State Bar's Healthcare Law Section, entitled State of Michigan Health Care Provider Licensure & Certification Process, to assist individuals in navigating the licensing and disciplinary processes in the State of Michigan (www.michbar.org/health). In April 2010, Ms. Geroux co-authored an article for the American Bar Association's Health Law Section for its monthly publication, THE HEALTH LAWYER, entitled, Penalizing Substandard Care: The Next Step in Combating Healthcare Fraud and Abuse and has co-authored numerous seminars and client alerts pertaining to healthcare matters affecting Michigan practitioners.
In addition to her healthcare practice, Ms. Geroux has extensive experience in general commercial civil litigation and appeals. Among her more notable achievements were a series of victories in the state trial and appellate courts on behalf a real estate developer regarding its purchase of state-owned property and reversal of a decertification decision by the Veterans Administration regarding a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business enterprise. In 2005, Ms. Geroux was appointed a Special Attorney General to represent the Michigan Public Service Commission in its appellate matters.
MEMBERSHIPS & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Ms. Geroux's professional memberships include: the State Bar of Michigan (including the Health Law Section), the American Bar Association (including the Health Law and Litigation Sections), the Federal Bar Association, the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, the Oakland County Bar Association, the Health Care Compliance Association and the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel. She also assisted with numerous pro bono projects for Community Legal Services (n/k/a Michigan Community Resources), which resulted in the publication of various white papers and primers on such topics related to Community Land Trusts and Affordability Preservation, as well as a Manual regarding malpractice and liability issues facing non-profit healthcare facilities such as free clinics, FQHCs and FQHC look-alikes and low-cost clinics.
Ms. Geroux has also been actively involved within her community, both professionally and personally. Currently, she serves on the Board of Directors for the Oakland Integrated Health Network, an FQHC Look-alike serving Oakland County, and as the Secretary of the Board of Directors for the Historical Society for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. Ms. Geroux is also an Adjunct Professor of Healthcare & Insurance Law in the Paralegal Program at Baker College of Auburn Hills. Previously, Ms. Geroux had an active role in leadership on a number of community organizations, including the Wixom Elementary PTA, the Walled Lake Braves and the Michigan State University & Detroit College of Law Alumni Association Board. She is admitted to practice in all Michigan state courts, as well as the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Professional Liability/Disciplinary Proceedings
- Womens Leadership Committee
- Emerging Technology Specialty Team
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Telemedicine & E-Health
- Health Care Outsourcing
- Stark, Fraud & Abuse
- Health Care
- Construction Litigation
- Health Care Industry Team
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Specialty Team
- Social Media, Privacy & Technology Specialty Team
- Government & Internal Investigations
- Medical Negligence
- Finance & Restructuring
- Michigan State University Undergraduate 1988, B.S.
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University Law School 1995, J.D.
Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2018
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Health Care Law, 2012, 2014, 2017 & 2018
Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) by the Compliance Certification Board in November 2012
Michigan Super Lawyers, Health Care, 2017
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Member, Board of Directors, Oakland Integrated Healthcare Network (April 2014-present)
Adjunct Faculty, Healthcare & Insurance Law, Baker College of Auburn Hills, Paralegal Program
State Bar of Michigan - Health Law Section
American Bar Association - Health Law Section
Health Care Compliance Association (HCCA)
American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
Federal Bar Association
Oakland County Bar Association
Michigan State College of Law & Detroit College of Law Alumni Association
- Represented purchasers in acquiring hospital as well as sellers of hospital
- Obtained dismissal of False Claims Act (“FCA”) lawsuit against healthcare provider and affirmance of dismissal in appeal (Chesbrough, et al. v. VPA, P.C. (6th Cir. August 23, 2011))
- Series of victories achieved in trial and appellate litigation involving the proposed sale of Michigan's Northville Psychiatric Hospital.
- Represented two contractors in connection with multiple local and federal fraud false claims act investigations of construction projects at a major airport
- Successfully concluded a multi-million arbirtation for an HMO involving competing claims for damages arising out of alleged mismanagement of the HMO and claims by the manager of a health group
- Successfully represented two contractors defending allegations of fraud in the reporting of DBE participation on a large airport construction project
- Prepared an administrative appeal and concurrently prepared the suit for immediate injuctive relief; our efforts were successful in preventing an award of the $14 million contract to the second bidder
- We obtained the Court of Appeals' affirmation of the trial court's dismissal of the challenge to the sale of the state hospital property to our client
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2018
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
- Thirty health care innovators discuss entrepreneurial opportunities during Butzel Long conference on March 23 in Detroit
- Butzel Long elects shareholders
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Webinar to offer HIPAA Update
- Butzel Long Attorney Debra Geroux promotes Gleaners Event on Fox2 Detroit
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Roundtable and Networking Gathering on December 11
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 18
- Butzel Long healthcare attorney earns CHC designation
- Butzel Long attorneys to discuss significant changes to HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules at March 22 breakfast briefing at Automation Alley in Troy
- Butzel Long hosts the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on March 21
- Butzel Long is the Michigan host for the ABA Woman Advocate Committee’s Regional Networking Gathering on July 25
- Butzel Long Women’s Leadership Committee participates in Cereal Drive with Gleaners Food Bank and Children’s Hospital of Michigan
- Butzel Long co-presents Health Care 2012 half-day seminar with McDermott Will & Emery on March 22, 2012 in East Lansing
- 68 Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys co-author guest article to run in the April edition of the ABA publication The Health Lawyer
- WannaCry Impacts and Lessons are Global
- Michigan Gets Aggressive in Its Efforts to Combat Opioid Abuse
- New Administration: Continued Emphasis on Compliance
- Suffer a small HIPAA breach? OCR may be looking for you!
- Federal Government Extends Moratorium on New HHAs and Ambulance Suppliers
- OIG Issues Revised Exclusion Guidance That Emphasizes The Need For An Effective Compliance Program
- CMS Once Again Continues Freeze on New HHA and Ambulance Supplier Enrollments
- Responding to the Government’s Increased Emphasis on Compliance
- Compliance Efforts in 2016
- OIG Releases 2016 Work Plan
- Communicating with Patients Under HIPAA and the TCPA: The Good, the Bad and the "Do-Not-Call"
- CMS Continues to Extend Freeze on New HHA and Ambulance Supplier Enrollments
- OIG issues Practical Guidance Tool for Health Care Board Oversight
- CMS Continues to Freeze Out Home Health Agencies and Ambulance Suppliers in HEAT Locations with another 6-month Extension of Moratorium on New Enrollment
- CMS Moratorium Ices Home Health Agencies and Ambulance Companies in HEAT Locations
- Health Care - Michigan Senate Passes Medicaid Expansion
- Health Care - HIPAA Mega Rule Action Plan
- Health Care - New Michigan Laws Cover Telemedicine Technologies in Health Care Professional/Patient Care: “The Doctor will see you now.”
- Health Care - Supreme Court Rules Obama's Health Care Reform Act Constitutional
- Health Care - Medicare and Medicaid NPI: Changes in Provider and Supplier Enrollment, Ordering and Referring, and Documentation
- E-news: Health Care Law - April 29, 2010
- Automation Alley Newsletter - October 2009
- E-news: Health Care Law - 09/10/09