Daniel P. Malone
Daniel P. Malone is Of Counsel practicing in Butzel Long’s Bloomfield Hills office. He is the firm’s Director of Korean Client Relations and Vice Chair of its Asia Practice.
Mr. Malone has traveled widely in Asia and represents companies from Korea and other Asian nations in international business matters. He assists foreign companies with doing business in the United States.
Mr. Malone has extensive automotive and product safety litigation experience. In addition to handling such cases throughout most of his career, he has served on both national and regional coordinating teams where he helped strategize, coordinate, and lead various companies’ overall defense efforts. Mr. Malone also counsels foreign and domestic automotive suppliers on federal compliance matters, such as recalls and matters that pertain to various Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. He is a key communicator and frequent author in support of the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations (WP.29), a working party of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) that strives to create harmonized safety and environmental regulations for vehicle design.
Mr. Malone is a frequent speaker at international and automotive conferences, such as the Management Briefing Seminars hosted by the Center for Automotive Research (CAR). He has also spoken numerous times for, among others, the Korean International Trade Association, the Korea Economic Institute, the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency (KOTRA), the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA), and the U.S. Department of Commerce. He has authored numerous articles and contributed to books on the global automotive industry (e.g., electric vehicles, China, harmonization), civil procedure, and attorney-client privilege that have been published by Industry Week, Alternative Energy, Location Magazine, Automotive News, Forbes.com, the Michigan Bar Journal, SAE International, Automotive News, the Bureau of National Affairs (BNA), and the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE).
Mr. Malone has served as an Adjunct Professor at the Detroit College of Law and Wayne State University School of Law, and he was a Faculty Member at both the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) and the Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE). He also served as a law clerk to the Hon. Ralph B. Guy, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
In 2006, Mr. Malone received the State Bar of Michigan’s Champion of Justice Award, which is given to a select few who demonstrate integrity and adherence to the highest principles and traditions of the legal profession, possess superior professional competence, and show an extraordinary professional accomplishment that benefits the nation, state, or local community in which he lives. The Michigan Bar Journal named Mr. Malone a Citizen Lawyer in 1992, and he was named “Forty Under 40” to watch for by Crain’s Detroit Business that same year. He is the 1995 recipient of the Elaine R. (“Boots”) Fisher Award from the Federal Bar Association, which recognized his exemplary community, public, and charitable service. Mr. Malone then served as President of the Federal Bar Association in 1997. Mr. Malone has served on the State Bar of Michigan’s Pro Bono Initiative Committee, is a Life Member of the Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference, and was a Master of the Bench at the American Inns of Court. Since 2006, Mr. Malone has been listed as a Michigan Super Lawyer, and he is also listed in the Best Lawyers in America for business litigation and personal injury litigation.
In 1999, Mr. Malone was presented with the Bridgebuilder Award, a lifetime achievement award presented by the Generation of Promise Program, www.generationofpromise.org, an organization that he co-founded in 1987 and continues to sustain the program, which provides a unique, year-long experience for high school juniors who have demonstrated leadership potential and gives them exposure to students of different backgrounds throughout metropolitan Detroit. He was named to the Honor Roll by the Birmingham-Bloomfield Hills Task Force on Race Relations in 2000. In 2001, Mr. Malone received the “Living the Mission” award from Focus: HOPE, an organization dedicated to intelligent and practical solutions to the problems of hunger, economic disparity, inadequate education, and racial divisiveness. He was also selected as Alumnus of the Year by the University of Detroit Jesuit High School in 2007. Mr. Malone has held leadership roles with Holy Cross Children’s Services, the United Way Childhood Care and Education Allocation Panel, Leadership Detroit Alumni Association, and Leadership Oakland. He has served as a legal advisor to the Hmong Community of Metro-Detroit.
Mr. Malone is a graduate of Cornell University (A.B.) (1975) and the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law (J.D.) (1978). While in law school, he was the Executive Editor of the school’s law review.
Mr. Malone is admitted to practice in Michigan, the U.S. District Courts within Michigan, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Cornell University Undergraduate 1975, A.B.
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Graduate 1978, J.D.
The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants; Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2003-2018
Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2006-2016
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Commercial Litigation International Trade and Finance Law, 2013, 2015
University of Detroit School of Law - Executive Editor of the University of Detroit Law Review
University of Detroit Jesuit High School - "Alumnus of the Year" in 2007
Michigan State Bar "Champion of Justice" Award received in 2006 (one of the State Bar's most distinguished honors, given for integrity and adherence to the highest principles and traditions of the legal profession and professional accomplishments that benefit national, state, or local communities)
Focus: HOPE, the pre-eminent civil rights organization, presented him with the "Living the Mission" Award in 2001
Birmingham-Bloomfield Hills Task Force on Race Relations - named to the Honor Roll in 2000
Generation of Promise Program - presented with the lifetime achievement "Bridgebuilder Award" in 1999
Received the prestigious Elaine R. ("Boots") Fisher Award in 1995 , a national award presented annually in Washington, D.C. by the Federal Bar Association in recognition of exemplary community, public, and charitable service
Michigan Federation of Private Child Care Agencies (Boysville of Michigan) - selected Board Member of the Year in 1992
Crain's Detroit Business – named in "Forty Under 40" in 1992
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Federal Bar Association – 1997 Chapter President, Eastern District of Michigan
State Bar of Michigan
Metropolitan Detroit Bar Association
American Bar Association
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Judicial Conference - Life Member Committee
- Represented tier 1 auto supplier in contract dispute against OEM; settled in favor of our client
- Coordinated research and counsel on negotiations of supply agreement for new battery technology for international manufacturing client.
- Represented foreign-based automotive supplier in case pricing, warranty, and contract termination issues
- Defended paper manufacturer in catastrophic injury action
- Defended Defense contractor in wrongful death action alleging intentional tort against employer
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2017 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2018
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Daniel P. Malone co-authors peer-review technical paper on automotive safety for SAE International
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Fifty-Five Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Butzel Long Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2013
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Super Lawyers 2012
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
- Attorney Daniel P. Malone returns to Butzel Long law firm as Director of Korean Client Relations and Vice Chair of Asia Practice
- Forty-Nine Butzel Long attorneys named to Super Lawyers 2009 listing
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2010: Forty-nine attorneys recognized in national listing
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2009