Bill C. Panagos
Bill C. Panagos is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Bloomfield Hills office. He concentrates his practice on intellectual property law, including patent prosecution, patent portfolio management, patent litigation, trademark law, and copyright law.
Mr. Panagos has served in the legal departments of several Fortune 500 companies and has extensive experience in the creation, management, monetization and enforcement of intellectual property (IP) portfolios.
His guidance resulted in licensing revenues for clients and the creation of cost-effective IP portfolios that are strategically aligned with long term business goals.
Mr. Panagos is a seasoned and successful litigator. He understands litigation is a business tool. He works with client management to understand the business objectives at issue and designs litigation strategies to meet them.
Mr. Panagos counsels clients through product development, and licensing negotiations. He also negotiates joint development agreements, asset purchase agreements, co-existence agreements, and other IP-related agreements.
Whatever the technology involved, Mr. Panagos can provide the right IP to achieve the desired result. For software development clients, this might involve managing patent and copyright issues in the face of open source code. For manufacturing clients, he sometimes advises protecting innovations as trade secrets rather than patents, particularly if the manufacturing process would be difficult to determine when examining a competitor’s product. For consumer product companies, he manages international trademark and patent portfolios, including utility and design patents.
Mr. Panagos is a graduate of Bradley University (B.S., 1978) and the University of Detroit School of Law (J.D., 1982). He is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the United States Supreme Court, the State of Wisconsin, and the State of Michigan.
- University of Detroit School of Law 1982, J.D.
- Bradley University 1978, B.S.
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property and Patent Law, 2014 & 2017
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Patent and Trademark Office 1983
- Wisconsin 1985
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorney Bill Panagos quoted in Corp! Magazine article on Patent Success
- Detroit Symposium focuses on connected and autonomous vehicle advances
- Butzel Long attorney Bill Panagos quoted in Law360 article titled "Justices Take Aim At Fed. Circ. Induced Infringement Rule"
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit 2014
- Butzel Long attorneys Linda D. Kennedy and Bill C. Panagos quoted in Lawyers.com article titled "Goliath Beats David as Court Rules for Monsanto Over Farmer"
- Butzel Long attorney Bill Panagos featured during seminar presented by the U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the Eastern and Western Districts
- Butzel Long attorney Bill C. Panagos comments on Apple's request for order blocking sale of Samsung products
- Butzel Long attorney Bill C. Panagos discusses impact of Apple-Samsung verdict
- Butzel Long attorney Bill C. Panagos discusses Google's reaction to Apple-Samsung verdict
- Butzel Long attorney Bill C. Panagos comments on jury deliberations in Apple-Samsung trial
- Butzel Long attorney Bill C. Panagos discusses patent infringement suit between Apple and Samsung
- Butzel Long attorney Bill C. Panagos shares insights on WSJ Live - "Apple vs. Samsung: A Lawyer's Take"
- Intellectual Property law attorney Bill C. Panagos joins Butzel Long
- Butzel Long attorney Bill C. Panagos quoted in Law 360 article, "Art Triumphs Over Fashion in LV's 'Hangover' Ruling"