Andrew Stumpff is a Shareholder based in Butzel Long’s Ann Arbor office, practicing in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation law. Mr. Stumpff advises many employers, as well as executives, as to executive compensation and employee benefit plan design and legal compliance matters. In employment-relations disputes and labor negotiations involving employee benefits issues, he confines his practice exclusively to representing labor organizations and employees.
Previously a partner of the New York law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, Mr. Stumpff has also served as an Assistant Branch Chief in the IRS Office of Chief Counsel – Employee Benefits and Exempt Organizations Division, where he helped oversee national employee benefits litigation. Andrew is a Fellow of the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel and has been named a key individual in Michigan employee benefits/compensation law by Chambers USA. He is a former co-chair of the Employee Benefits Committee of the New York State Bar Association Tax Section. Andrew teaches Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation at the University of Michigan Law School and at the University of Alabama Law School LL.M in the Taxation program. He has published widely in the benefits field, and is the author of two law school casebooks: "Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation," published in 2011, and "Executive Compensation," forthcoming in 2016; and coauthor of a third, Langbein, Pratt, Stabile & Stumpff, "Pension and Employee Benefit Law" published in 2015 (all published by Foundation Press), as well as treatises and numerous articles. Andrew received an A.B. in Mathematics from Washington University in 1983 and a J.D. in 1986 from the University of Michigan Law School, where he served as Article Editor of the Michigan Law Review.
- University of Michigan Law School 1986, J.D.
- Washington University 1983, A.B.
Fellow, College of Employee Benefits Counsel
Chambers USA, Employee Benefits/Compensation Law
Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2017
Michigan Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits, 2015-2016
DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Employee Benefits Law, 2016-2017
Assistant Branch Chief in the IRS Office of Chief Counsel – Employee Benefits and Exempt Organizations Division
New York State Bar Association Tax Section – Former co-chair
- Butzel Long elects shareholders
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2017
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2016 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorneys named to The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Butzel Long’s Immigration Department is the only Michigan law firm recognized in Immigration ranking by Chambers USA 2016
- Butzel Long attorneys named to Chambers USA 2016
- Butzel Long attorneys named to DBusiness magazine’s Top Lawyers in metro Detroit 2016
- Fifty-seven Butzel Long Attorneys Named to the 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers List
- Stevenson Keppelman Associates joins Butzel Long