Andrew M. Friedman
Andrew Friedman is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel Long's Washington D.C. office. Mr. Friedman primarily represents clients involved in government investigations. He has defended some of the largest corporations in the country in criminal and civil investigations and prosecutions, as well as in parallel administrative, regulatory and civil litigation. In particular, Mr. Friedman has substantial experience and expertise defending investigations involving antitrust, securities, foreign corrupt practices, banking law, hedge funds, export controls and contractor corruption. He also has significant experience counseling individuals and corporations involved in congressional investigations. Mr. Friedman has guided clients through voluntary disclosures to civil and criminal enforcement bodies and proactive enhancements to their ethics and compliance functions as well.
Mr. Friedman has also played a leading role in litigating defamation and other First Amendment-related claims, both at the trial and appellate level. He has successfully pursued and defended commercial litigation claims in a variety of subject matter areas. Mr. Friedman also counsels clients regarding antitrust issues that arise in the context of compliance programs, business relationships, trade association practices, and pre-merger due diligence.
Mr. Friedman recently achieved a significant trial victory for a client accused of a complicated fraud scheme in Central Europe. After successfully arguing for dismissal of the most serious count of the indictment at a preliminary stage, Friedman and co-counsel obtained acquittal on all remaining counts of the indictment after a ten-week trial in the courts of Kosovo.
Mr. Friedman's first-chair trial experience began at the New Hampshire Public Defender. He also served as a law clerk for the former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, as well as a judge in the Minnesota State District Court.
White Collar and Government Investigations
- Antitrust: Defended an international airline, one of the world's largest international freight forwarders and an international ocean carrier in multi-year criminal investigations.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices, Export Violations and International Fraud and Corruption: Defended large corporations and individuals in investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the World Bank and the Export-Import Bank. Successfully defended one of the largest energy corporations in the world in a multi-year FCPA Investigation.
- Securities-Related Matters: Defended an investment advisor to a hedge fund in criminal and SEC investigations and related civil litigation; defended individuals in investigations of some of the largest investment frauds in U.S. history; defended senior officers and board members of a technology company in a joint criminal/SEC investigation of alleged accounting improprieties, securities violations and fraud; defended a former telecom corporate officer in an SEC investigation of alleged accounting improprieties and securities violations.
- Fraud/International: Served as lead counsel for a European telecommunications indicted for racketeering and fraud. Obtained dismissal of racketeering charge, then obtained acquittal on all remaining charges after a twelve week trial.
- Health Care Fraud: Lead a series of internal investigations of alleged Medicaid fraud for a national health care company. The client avoided criminal conviction via a deferred prosecution agreement and monitorship.
- Environmental: Successfully avoided prosecution for alleged Clean Water Act violations on behalf of a large mining company.
- Mining: Defended multiple coal mine operators in criminal investigations.
- Financial Services/Money Transmitting: Successfully negotiated deferred prosecution agreement on behalf of national money transmitting company.
- Suspension/Disbarment: Successfully reversed government contracting debarment imposed on an international logistics company.
- Government Officials: Represented a federal prosecutor in parallel investigations of alleged misconduct.
- Government Oversight: Represented several clients in investigations by House and Senate committees.
- Defamation: Has successfully pursued and defended defamation claims in state and federal courts throughout the United States, at the trial level and on appeal, including multiple cases with political implications.
- "The Anatomy of a Successful Internal Investigation", Corporate Integrity (September 13, 2016)
- "The 'Collection Gap' Explained: A White-Collar Practioner's View", Yale Law & Policy Review (August 14, 2012)
- "When Congress Calls", Inside Litigation (Spring/Summer 2006)(co-author)
- "Fraud and Corruption: A Guide to the World Bank's Contractor Sanctions Process", Government Contract Magazine (January 4, 2006)
- "Defending Individuals in White Collar Criminal Cases," D.C. Bar Sections (January 4, 2017)
- "E-Discovery Developments in Government Investigations 2015," Driven, Inc. Webinar (January 27, 2016)
- “Recent Developments in Corporate/White Collar Investigations and Prosecutions,” DRI Annual Meeting (October 9, 2015)
- “Conducting Antitrust Audits as Part of an Effective Compliance Program,” ABA Webinar (September 29, 2015)
- "Best Practices and the Representation of Individuals in White Collar Criminal Investigations", D.C. Bar Criminal Law and Individual Rights Section (September 17, 2015)
- Brown University Undergraduate 1988, A.B.
- University of Minnesota Law School Law School 1993, J.D.
"Burton Award" for excellence in legal writing for article regarding Congressional Investigations (2007)
Washing Lawyers' Committee "Outstanding Achievement Award" in the field of Washington DC Prisoners' legal rights (2007)
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Member, District of Columbia Bar, Criminal/Individual Rights Section
Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers