Michael R. Griffie
Michael R. Griffie is an associate attorney in Butzel Long’s Detroit office where he focuses his practice in the areas of education law, employment and labor law, and commercial litigation. Mr. Griffie has provided counsel to school boards on a variety of matters including contract negotiation, fact-finding hearings, – constitutional and civil rights law, governmental immunity, academic freedom, crisis management, academic program change, student discipline, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Open Meetings Act, the Freedom of Information Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), institutional organization, board policy and procedures, and many other areas.
Mr. Griffie joins Butzel Long with a decade of experience in school leadership, most recently serving as principal of the highly regarded Hamtramck Academy. As principal, Mr. Griffie managed school operations, maintained responsibility for federal and state compliance, and oversaw a $6.6 million budget.
In November, 2014 Mr. Griffie received the Michigan Chronicle’s 40 under 40 award for his service in education leadership.
Mr. Griffie’s community involvement has included serving on the Wayne County Ethics Board (2016) where he was appointed by Wayne County Executive Warren Evans.
Mr. Griffie is a graduate of Western Michigan Thomas M. Cooley Law School (J.D., 2014) and Wayne State University (B.A., English 2005, M.A., Teaching 2007) where he served as captain of the football team (2004).
Speaking Engagements and Publications
Presenter, "Dealing with the Troubled Employee: A Thoughtful and Safe Approach," Detroit, MI, October 28, 2016
Presenter, “Common Evidentiary Issues in Employment Litigation: What Are They, and Best Tactics to Limit Harm and Maximize the Benefit,” 33rd Annual National CLE Conference, January 2016, Vail, Colorado
Contributor, MLRC Employment Survey 2017: Michigan Libel
- Thomas Cooley Law School 2014, J.D.
- Wayne State University 2007, M.A.
- Wayne State University 2005, B.A.
Detroit Regional Chamber - 2017 Mackinac Future Leader
Michigan Chronicle's 40 Under 40 Award (2014)
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star (Schools & Education) 2018
Teach for America's Transformational Change Award (2013)
Wayne County Ethics Board
- Butzel Long attorneys named to 2018 Super Lawyers list
- Butzel Long attorney Michael Griffie discusses lawsuit with Lebron James on Fox 2
- Butzel Long attorney Michael Griffie interviewed on WDIV-Local 4 regarding legal battle with LeBron James
- Butzel Long attorneys featured during 34th Annual CLE Conference in Snowmass, Colo.
- Butzel Long adds attorneys specializing in White Collar Criminal Defense, Family Law and Labor and Employment Law