Daniel J. McCarthy
Daniel J. McCarthy is a Shareholder practicing in Butzel Long’s Bloomfield Hills office. He graduated from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School (J.D., cum laude) and Western Connecticut State University (B.B.A.). Mr. McCarthy concentrates his practice in appellate and commercial litigation for both state and federal courts. He is highly skilled and sought after for appellate litigation, as well as arbitration matters. A prolific writer, Daniel has authored thousands of legal briefs during his career and he has garnered many victories in the appellate and circuit courts, as well as multiple arbitration awards in favor of his clients. His cumulative career is a testament to his unyielding dedication to providing every client with the most efficient and effective advocacy possible.
Daniel served as a law clerk intern for the Honorable Richard F. Suhrheinrich, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He later served as a law clerk for the Honorable Marilyn J. Kelly, Chief Justice, Michigan Supreme Court, 1999 to 2000, and then in 2000 he served as a pre-hearing attorney for the Michigan Court of Appeals.
In addition to his career as an experienced and trusted litigator, Daniel also served as an adjunct professor at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School.
In 2010, Daniel was appointed to serve on the Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Model Civil Jury Instructions, a position he held through 2018.
Business Contracts A to Z: Breach of Contract (National Business Institute)
NBI Seminar on Contract and Breach of Contract Actions
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., 1999 cum laude, honors scholar
- Western Connecticut State University, B.B.A., 1993
Michigan Super Lawyers, 2014-present
dBusiness Top Lawyer
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
State Bar of Michigan
American Bar Association
Oakland County Bar Association
Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Model Civil Jury Instructions, 2010-2018
Adjunct Professor of Law, Thomas M. Cooley Law School
Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers
- AO 2020-4: The Michigan Supreme Court Suspends Filing Deadlines in the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court, But Not Circuit Court AppealsMarch 26, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” and how COVID-19 could forever change the need for oral argument and why the written brief is all too important.March 23, 2020
- March 17, 2020
- March 12, 2020
- February 6, 2020
- January 16, 2020