Akin M. Alcitepe
Akin M. Alcitepe is a Shareholder based in Butzel Long’s Washington D.C. office. Mr. Alcitepe concentrates his practice on complex commercial and construction litigation matters before international and domestic dispute resolution tribunals such as the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), ICC International Court of Arbitration and the American Arbitration Association, as well as U.S. state and federal courts. He has had litigation successes on all three stages — local, national and international. Mr. Alcitepe regularly handles high-profile, construction-related as well as commercial claims.
Mr. Alcitepe is a native of Turkey and is a graduate of Robert College in Istanbul, Turkey. He is known for his meticulous preparation and expert tailoring of his presentations to decision-makers (bench vs. jury trial vs. arbitration) which produces favorable results for his clients.
- Represented the owner of a biomass gasification plant in Turkey related to the process utilized in that project.
- Defended and prosecuted the claims of a general contractor in a $100 million litigation arising out of the construction of the retractable roof of Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Defended a surety in an $80 million case involving construction of a Wyoming coal beneficiation plant.
- Advised a large Turkish bank in conjunction with an ICSID dispute for the protection of a $90 million guarantee it had provided for the construction of a highway in Pakistan.
- Prosecuted the claims of a French contractor against a South American government arising out of the construction of a power plant in an ICC arbitration.
- Represented over 12 Turkish construction companies with BIT claims over $200 million against a Central Asian government.
- Pursued the $20 million claim of a Turkish subcontractor against a US contractor in a USAID project utilizing a FIDIC contract for the construction of a highway in Afghanistan.
- Represented the construction manager in a $20 million dispute with the concrete subcontractor in the construction of a stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Prosecuted the claims of a government contractor arising out of a NAVFAC project in Djibouti.
Presentations and Publications
- "Turkmenistan faces new ECT claim," Global Arbitration Review, 23 August 2017
- Author, “Basic Jury Instructions,” Chapter 1, Model Jury Instructions for Surety Cases, American Bar Association publication.
- Co-author, “Bayindir v. Pakistan and the Decline and Fall of Investment Treaty Claims on International Construction Projects,” Ankara Law Review, Vol. 6, No. 2 (2010).
- Course Advisor for International Law Institute’s Program on FIDIC contracts
- George Washington University Law School 1999, J.D.
- George Washington University 1994, B.A.
American Bar Association