Community Legal Resources.
One of our attorneys is Vice President and Director of the Legal Aid and Defender Association.
Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council (MMSDC).
The firm is a leader in assisting Minority Business Enterprises (MBEs) and is committed to providing superior legal services to minority-owned businesses. The firm has been an active corporate member of the MMSDC since 1992 and is proud to support its mission and goals. We have developed a specialized Minority Business Enterprise practice that provides special fee arrangements and business counsel to qualified MBE clients. In addition to our active support and participation in networking and fundraising events, we have our own Supplier Diversity Program through which we increase our purchases from minority business enterprises. The firm also participates in MMSDC's Project One, in which certified minority owned businesses and corporate members are organized into modules in order to better interact and provide procurement opportunities for the minority business enterprises. Our efforts resulted in the award of the Michigan Minority Supplier Development Council’s 7 Gems Award for exceptional commitment to the growth of minority business enterprises to one of our attorneys. This attorney serves as Secretary of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Professional Services Sector.
Washtenaw County Bar Association.
One of our attorneys spoke on a panel at the Washtenaw County Bar Association's Bias Awareness Program about bias and the importance of diversity in private practice, and attended the Bias Awareness Dinner of the Washtenaw County Bar Association.
We have attended and sponsored the MMSDC Annual Awards Dinner, MMSDC Golf Outing, MMSDC Michigan Minority Procurement Conference, Detroit Urban League, Black United Fund of Michigan Annual Awards Dinner, Black United Fund of Michigan Golf Outing, and National Black McDonald’s Owners’ Association events.
The firm also teaches the value of diversity to its clients through a seminar entitled “Valuing Diversity.” This seminar enables both employees and managers to explore and understand the impact of their feelings and behavior on one another. The goal of this seminar is to create a respectful, enjoyable and productive workplace for all employees regardless of their differences.
We are a sponsor of the Michigan Diversity Council (MIDC), a local chapter of the National Diversity Council. This organization provides as a community resource providing programming and opportunity for discussion to ensure workplace diversity in the State of Michigan. Staff sit on the MIDC Advisory Board and are integral in its development.
We sponsored the Michigan Roundtable For Diversity and Inclusion Annual Awards Luncheon, The Human Resources Association of Greater Detroit Diversity Seminar, the Wolverine Bar Association Annual Barristers Ball, and attended the D. Augustus Straker Bar Association Corporate Counsel Breakfast.
We have sponsored the NAACP’s Fight for Freedom Fund Dinner, the Urban League Salute to Distinguished Warriors Dinner, the Black United Fund of Michigan, Inc. Anniversary Dinner, the Wolverine Bar Association Foundation’s Damon J. Keith Community Spirit Award Luncheon and the Arab American Chamber of Commerce 15th Annual Building Economic Bridges Banquet.
We have sponsored events by HAVEN, InForum, Safehouse and Don Bosco Hall, and have participated in the International Bar Association Second World Women Lawyers Conference in London, an International Woman’s Roundtable in Amsterdam, Consular Ball and attended Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan Annual Women's Power Breakfast and the Mexican, Italian, Canadian and Japanese Consulates events.
Our attorneys are members of professional associations dedicated to diversity in various industries by providing support, mentorship and representation to minorities and underrepresented people, such as:
- Advocates Society, The Association of Polish-American Attorneys
- American Arab Chamber of Commerce
- American Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists, Detroit Chapter
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Michigan Chapter
- Arab American Business Women's Council
- Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce
- Association of Mexican Professionals in Michigan
- Association of Shandong Folks in North America
- Chinese Association of Greater Detroit
- Detroit Chinese Business Association
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Japanese American Society
- Japan Auto Parts Industries Association
- Japanese Business Society of Detroit
- Michigan Department of Civil Rights’ Advisory Committee on Asian Pacific American Affairs (ACAPAA)
- Michigan Renmin University of China Association
- Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion (formerly known as the National Conference for Community and Justice)
- Michigan Diversity Council
- National Association of Women in Construction
- National American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Samahang Pilipino Ng Oakland Filipino Organization
- South West Chinese Association
Our attorneys share their expertise with others through teaching, speaking engagements, and publishing. Not only are our attorneys members and sponsors of these organizations, several of our attorneys are leaders in these organizations:
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). One of our attorneys is a Past Chapter Chairperson of the Michigan Chapter. He also served on the United States Customs and Border Protection Liaison Committee for National American Immigration Lawyers Association.
- Asian Pacific American Affairs (ACAPAA). One of our attorneys is a council member of the Michigan Department of Civil Rights’ Advisory Committee on ACAPAA and also services on its Immigration Subcommittee. He has spoken at an ACAPAA seminar on employer compliance issues.
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society. One of our attorneys is on the Board of Directors of J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Detroit Chapter.
- Jewish Vocational Services (JVS). One of our attorneys is on the Board of Directors of JVS.
- National Association of Women in Construction. One of our attorneys is on the Board of Directors of the Lansing Chapter of the National Association of Women in Construction.
- Women Officials' Network in Oakland County. One of our attorneys is on the Foundation Board for the Women Officials' Network in Oakland County.
They have taught courses, given seminars or served as panelists locally, nationally, and internationally for such groups as: the National Bar Association, the American Bar Association; the State Bar of Michigan Institute for Continuing Legal Education; The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers; New York University School of Law Real Estate Legal Practices; American Immigration Lawyers Association; Society of Human Resources Management; and the International Bar Association. Our attorneys have also taught:
- graduate and undergraduate courses in business law as an Adjunct Professor in the College of Business and Administration at the University of Detroit Mercy;
- journalism majors “The Law of the Press” as an adjunct professor at Oakland University;
- courses dealing with electronic forensics, cyber threats and internet security issues as an adjunct faculty member at the Walsh College and Washtenaw Community College; and
- seminars on U.S. business law and taxation for delegations from China.
Our attorneys also frequently present seminars for clients and industry groups.
They have authored numerous articles, books, or chapters in legal treatises on topics ranging from environmental law, media law, real estate law, immigration law, labor and employment law, benefits law, technology law, family law, art law, bankruptcy law, products liability law. They have also served as editors of newsletters on various legal topics.